Real Estate
Sponsored by

Power Lines on Property

1,604 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Kenneth_2003
1997 AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cross posted on Outdoors board.

I'm looking at buying 25 acres that has six 3 phase power poles/lines running through it to build a home. Assuming I'm past any issues with them being an eyesore for me or any health issues, what should l be concerned about or questions I should be asking. The poles were installed in 2008 and are in great condition. I understand the easement is 10 ft on either side and nothing built under or above. Prime home sites on the parcel are at least 150 - 200 ft from the lines. Typically wouldn't be considering but given that land where I live is hard to find and very expensive, seeing it as a potential opportunity to get in at a good land basis if I can do my homework and get comfortable. Thanks.
Troglodyte
AG
Not that I'm aware of. They will enter from time to time to mow. Our deer lease has two rows of lines. One is mowed every other year at least. The other has been mowed once in 5 years. So, you should have large gates between your property and the neighbors. Utility company should maintain them.
The Fife
10 feet sounds like the ROW for regular power lines and I've never seen that be an issue. Where I grew up they all ran along the rear of the lot lines (typically 1 acre each) and the power company used the ROW between houses where the service line ran whenever they needed access to anything. There never were any gates for them to get in and poles were always at the point where the back corner of 4 lots met. The ROW was maintained like the rest of the yard by whoever's land it happened to be on and the only rules were you couldn't fence it off.

In that situation nobody cared about the lines at all. The power company for a long time was Perdnales Electric Co-Op, not sure if it's still the same but this is how power lines, access, and ROW were handled for 50 years now.

edit: If all this came out as gibberish I can easily explain it with a picture if needed.
dubi
AG
Summary:

NBD and mow your own.
muleshoe
AG
Run title/research the easement and find how it was defined. Better to find out what is in agreement sooner rather than later.
Scruffy
AG
Could be issues with future pool installation.
Kenneth_2003
AG
When I lived in Beeville I had 72,000V in my backyard. 45ft ROW from center (22.5ft each way). It was no big deal at all. Power company never came back there. It was just part of my back yard. Only real thing was when you built a privacy fence you needed a 20ft gate or if/when they came back they'd tear your fence down.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.