Real Estate
Sponsored by

How to find flooding information?

926 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by dubi
Grown Pear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What are the best ways to see if properties you're looking at have flooded in the past or the immediate areas close by?

Thinking of homes/properties in the Brenham, Chappell Hill, Waller areas most likely.

I'm just not familiar with what happened around there during Harvey, Tax Day flood, etc. any advice?

ETA - I know a sellers disclosure should have that on there. I'm asking about before we get to that point. Just doing due diligence and possibly find area to avoid looking!
CS78
Start here- FEMA Flood Map Service Center | Welcome!

From personal experience, there are areas that flood that arent on the map and areas that would never flood that are on the map.

Have your insurance agent check to see if previous claims have been filed on a property.

Ask the neighbors.
Martin Cash
AG
Check with the county sanitation officer/code enforcer. He will have the FEMA flood plain maps.
Lightning Dexter
You can also check out these high water mark data points. It's not a nice map of what flooded, but after large flood events, elevation data is usually collected at various locations. This likely doesn't have some of the smaller tributaries and local flooding. This data is typically limited to some of the larger creeks and rivers.

https://webservices.tnris.org/arcgis/rest/services/High_Water_Marks/High_Water_Marks/MapServer

dubi
AG
Look at the appraisal district and find a few neighbors who have lived there a long time. Knock on their door and ask.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.