Real Estate
Sponsored by

Considering buying land in the hill country. Seeking advice.

1,372 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Grown Pear
Loyalty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and i are 6 years from retirement. We want to purchase a get away property in the Western Hill Country - land only.

Our plans are to use for:

• Peace and quiet in the country
  • Take our trailer for extended stays, weekends
  • Not build a house on
  • Hunting

My question: While not a huge hunter, we would like to dove, hog and deer hunt on the property. So question for you hunters out there - how many acres do I need to deer hunt on?

We do not plan on leasing the property to hunters, but rather make it place for our family, grandkids, etc. to enjoy.

I ask because I see a lot of nice properties from 20 to 60 acres. Is that enough? Any other words of advice?

I've been told stay away from high fences, try to get property with water (dove), existing electric would be a plus.
histag10
AG
Acres needed to discharge a weapon vary by county. When my husband lived in New Braunfels, it was 10 acres. We live in Brazos County, and there are no restrictions if you are outside city limits.

You will have to do your due diligence with each county you look in to check what their requirements for shotguns and rifles are.
Maroon Saloon
How many acres do you need to hunt depends on several factors: topography, density of brush and type(s) of brush/cover . . . among other things. How you set up your hunting areas also play factor (how far could bullet or shot travel). I've heard people say minimum of 80 ac to rifle hunt on. I'd lean towards needing a few more. Hill country deer herd may not require you to have many acres. Some areas (further W) harvest a buck to 1000 ac, another thing to consider. Lot of variables.....
Loyalty
AG
Makes sense thank you. I have a a lot to learn before purchasing.
Grown Pear
AG
I have nothing to add other than I really like your thinking. Would love to do the same but probably a few years behind you!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.