Real Estate
Sponsored by

Land/easement question

1,154 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by normaleagle05
fishingag14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
'll be cross posting on the real estate board but I respect the OBs opinion.

We're considering making an offer on a house on 2.8 acres in bellville ( can see the CAD map in the link). The house is on parcel 47921. To get to it, you have to drive through 54602. Now the owner actually owns both parcels but wants another $70k for 54602 (1 acre that has a shed bringing in $350 month leased to someone).

My initial thoughts are:

#1. I shouldn't buy the house unless I get both pieces because I have no control over that 1 acre and it could get turned into a junk yard that I have to drive by everyday with no control.

#2. Even if I'm ok with the risk in #1, I would assume I'd need to get with a real estate attorney and make sure the easement language is very clear that I (and any future owners), would always have access.

What would be your take? Am I thinking about this correctly?

https://imgur.com/a/OkhXrRh
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
1. I'd buy both.

2. Get an attorney. This is one of those things where if you handle it right to begin with it won't cost that much or be a big deal later but if you take a risk on it most likely being fine, you might end up with a big mess that you spent a lot more money to try and fix later.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
normaleagle05
AG
I replied more fully on the OB thread but will summarize here.

That is not two tracts, it's one tract split in the CAD's information by the city limit line. The seller is unlikely to be able to legally partition the property because of the already small road frontage of 17.99 feet.

You'd be wading into something few would recommend by buying a portion of that property. Frankly, I'm surprised the broker has allowed it to be listed as it is.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.