Real Estate
Sponsored by

Question about buying ~10+ acres in Texas Hill Country

2,280 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bitter Old Man
Southside AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I want to buy land in Texas, hill country, Fredericksburg, TX, preferably. Would like +10 acres, and be able to run electric, water and septic/sewage. Ideally would be a weekend getaway but also a place I could store my travel trailer. Tips on how to find the best place without over paying?
mwp02ag
AG
My wife and I are also looking for 10ish acres for a place to keep our RV, to build a little dog sports complex on and to eventually build on. We are looking from at anything from Kerrville on a arc all the way around the south side of SA to La Vernia. She is a Realtor so that's helpful.

My impression of Fredericksburg land is its a hot market in a late stage real estate cycle that due to the given the state and local overreach, which is arguably worse in many other states, combined with high taxation in other states causing mass migration to Texas, particularly the suburbs and rural areas may well continue to appreciate.
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
Hey Southside, I posted this in your thread on Business and Investing but I thought I would respond here as well. The majority of their smaller listings are all in the hill country area, hopefully this helps.

You may find something you're interested in from Ruple Properties, they sell farm & ranch land across the state and they have some available properties in the 10 acre range. They're owned by an Aggie and my wife, also an Aggie, works there as well.

If you have any questions feel free to DM me and I'll get you in contact with someone there.

https://www.southtexasranches.com/
Bitter Old Man
AG
There is a new ranchette subdivision out there that is going to start selling next week. They keep the prices fairly low to sell them out fast.

https://www.overhillsranch.com/

Southside AG
AG
That looks interesting. Seems too good to be true and the website doesn't offer any information. $200k for the land and a 2500 sq. Ft. barndominium. No map or further links, just the phone number and web form to submit for more information.

Deed restrictions, hunting allowed, annual dues etc? I'll probably call them. Do you know anything further?
LostInLA07
AG
The $200k is just the building shell. It's not finished out.
MAS444
AG
This may be unjustified/irrational but I'd never even consider buying property that's marketed that way. No real meaningful details at all except "contact us" so presumably you can get some kind of hard sell. Same as how I'd never buy from anyone that cold calls me or knocks on my door unsolicited. Maybe their property/product is amazing...but I strongly assume otherwise and can't stand the marketing.

But maybe it's just me...
Southside AG
AG
Yes. Agree. I'm not a fan of that and the hard deadline of this weekend only etc.
oklaunion
Southside AG said:

I want to buy land in Texas, hill country, Fredericksburg, TX, preferably. Would like +10 acres, and be able to run electric, water and septic/sewage. Ideally would be a weekend getaway but also a place I could store my travel trailer. Tips on how to find the best place without over paying?
you probably know this but the land purchase might be the lesser of your expenses if electricity and water aren't right up to the property. Getting those run can cost an arm and a leg.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Yeah, I know these guys a little, but I've never been to one of their sales. I'm guessing you definitely get the hard sell. They require people to put a 10% Deposit down when they sign a contract, which is kinda crazy in the market. However, people do it, as I know they sold out the entire subdivision this weekend.

The place was somewhere between Fburg and Doss.
Bitter Old Man
AG
oklaunion said:

Southside AG said:

you probably know this but the land purchase might be the lesser of your expenses if electricity and water aren't right up to the property. Getting those run can cost an arm and a leg.

Most people buying rural land will have to deal with this, and 99% will have to dig a well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.