Real Estate
Sponsored by

DR Horton Emerald?

3,955 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Tex_Ag_2017
Zombie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The house I am purchasing was build in 2012 by DR Horton Emerald. I've done some research and see that this is their "luxury" brand. The house does reflect this with wood floors on the 1st floor, granite counters, and other extras. What is the long term quality of these houses? I have read both good and bad reviews. What are your thoughts, TexAgs?
Shooter McGavin
AG
It's a generic volume built home.

HTH
The Fife
^ This right here.

Your experience will be based on 5% DR Horton, 10% previous owners, and the rest depends on whatever contractors they used in that neighborhood.
fka ftc
You got 1-2 years left on the structural warranty with builder, so you may want to pay for an engineer to do an inspection depending on where you are in close process. If any issues, DR may still be on hook to fix,

Outside of that, that the poster above said. Quality will be much more subcontractor performance, capability of whatever random superintendent managed the job and driven by previous homeowner treatment and maintenance.
Whoop Delecto
AG
rondis23
AG
WhoopRAB said:

Driving around a lake with my wife in an area we haven't been in a while. Passed a billboard for a new development. I asked her what the sign said. She said " Doctor Horton"

LOLd way louder than I should've!
jjdavis85
AG
I echo what others have said. What area are you looking in? I'm familiar with the general build quality of the Katy areas where they build their Emerald line.
TXTransplant
I have a house built that same year. It's not DR Horton, but there were several big ticket/major items with defective parts that affected multiple different builders. Several had class action lawsuits. The ones to watch for are:

1) defective/leaky A/C coils (I'm on my third)
2) exploding toilets
3) defective valves on hot water heaters (when it fails, it will do water damage)
4) defective Moen kitchen faucets (Moen will replace these free of charge, if you are the original owner)

There were class action lawsuits on the coils and toilets. A Google search will bring them up.
Tex_Ag_2017
AG
I live in a DR Horton home in Waco. Built in 2012. We purchased in 2017. We have not had any problems at all. Of course, our house is very well built up from the rest of the landscape and surrounding area. No problems with the a/c but the first owners went with the upgraded package and got a better brand than the basic tier 0 a/c. Lots of people in my neighborhood complain about their a/c's but I also see homes that people completely neglect such as not replacing window trim and letting it completely rot out. It's been 10 years since these homes were built and some people act like they should last forever and never have problems. There's still upkeep and general maintenance all home owners should be doing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.