Real Estate
Sponsored by

What's going on in Bell County / Killeen?

1,978 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by frenchtoast
jagvocate
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
*.8* months of housing supply, down from 1.2 months only a couple of months ago. A lot of places in Texas are between 3-4 months.

Seems hot for an Army town that's lost a lot of firepower/manpower over the years.

Are these California transplants wanting to live near Austin but not in it?
aggiepaintrain
AG
Have you priced homes in Belton and Salado, this is likely your answer
agsalaska
AG
Soldiers are not moving in or out. PCS season was very short and very small. Without soldiers moving the market did not free up enough sellers for the civilian buyers that were coming in.

Try doing a rental. You can list a 1k a month house right now in Killeen and have 100 inquiries in 12 hours.

It is nuts around here.

Belton and Temple, while much more expensive, are also a bit more stable.
stallion6
AG
The rental inventory is down because people are choosing to take their properties out of rental and sell. The market had been somewhat stagnant for years but low interest rates and slightly rising home prices are allowing owners to sell. My wife is a real estate broker and also has a property management business. She has been selling many of the homes that were previously in her property management.
agsalaska
AG
stallion6 said:

The rental inventory is down because people are choosing to take their properties out of rental and sell. The market had been somewhat stagnant for years but low interest rates and slightly rising home prices are allowing owners to sell. My wife is a real estate broker and also has a property management business. She has been selling many of the homes that were previously in her property management.
I sort of agree but we are seeing something different.

I am in the same business and while we are seeing a few more landlords sell than in the past, the biggest factor by far for us is less turnover. Our turnover this year is down about 80% or so. Nobody is moving.

It will break when the soldiers begin PCSing again in large numbers. My guess is their will be a lot less pressure on the market in 2021.
stallion6
AG
agsalaska said:

stallion6 said:

I sort of agree but we are seeing something different.

I am in the same business and while we are seeing a few more landlords sell than in the past, the biggest factor by far for us is less turnover. Our turnover this year is down about 80% or so. Nobody is moving.

It will break when the soldiers begin PCSing again in large numbers. My guess is their will be a lot less pressure on the market in 2021.
COVID-19 of course has delayed military moves as well. That combined with the army has shifted to regional rotations for brigades to Korea, Europe, and Kuwait leaving families in place.
RockOn
https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/data/housing-activity/#!/activity/MSA/Killeen-Temple

listings are down 40% from same time last year. Less people want to sell and more people want to buy.
itsyourboypookie
We just sold our 6 plex in copperas cove. Bought it for 70k 2 years ago. Sold it for 235k. 15k over asking. Multiple offers.

Might need to list our other 4 doors after reading this.
agsalaska
AG
Be happy to help you with that.
frenchtoast
I live out of state and am planning to purchase my first investment property this year. I have seen a few listings for 4-plexes in the Killeen area that look pretty tempting (cash flow over $500/month). How stable is the economy in this area? I know Ft Hood is the major employer, but there's always the chance of downsizing due to defense cuts. I did see that Fortune Magazine listed it as one of the top 10 markets in the US to invest in during the pandemic, but was wondering if there is more driving the growth in this area than the base.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.