Real Estate
Sponsored by

Just elected to condo HOA board, tips?

4,037 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by busdriver88
bthotugigem05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been a resident at this condoplex for 7 years but finally purchased a condo and moved into it. The board president has been accused of running things like a dictatorship and has been accused of personal vendettas against two (now former, I bought their unit) residents. Three board members left because of these accusations and my dumb idiot self volunteered for a position on the board.

Sooooo what are your tips, those of you who have been involved in running HOAs?
SteveBott
AG
Resign
bthotugigem05
AG
I didn't want to do it, trust me, but my old landlord brought up a good point, that I've sunk a lot of money into this condoplex by buying a place here so I should try and influence it where I can.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
When you play the game of thrones you win or you die.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
BTD
Is condoplex a real word?
Diggity
AG
So is this Del Boca Vista Phase I or Phase II?

Big difference
BQ_90
AG
Don't buy a Cadillac
cab559
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

I didn't want to do it, trust me, but my old landlord brought up a good point, that I've sunk a lot of money into this condoplex by buying a place here so I should try and influence it where I can.

Is your old landlord on the board? If not, he pulled a fast one you to do his dirty work.
CapeAggie89
AG
Get to know you HOA's governing documents. They tell you what you can do. You also need to get familiar with Texas Property Codes as those can override your governing documents.

The only power that the HOA has is what is in the governing documents.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
HOAs are evil. People that enjoy being on a HOA like telling others what they can or can't do with their own property.
bthotugigem05
AG
This is a condo so it's a bit different. The really difficult part is it spans three different phases, so lots of bickering about how much attention one phase gets over another.
bthotugigem05
AG
He's not and doesn't really care too much about what goes on, he said to let him know if I ever needed his support on anything and he would support it
Ragoo
AG
Embezzle money

Or don't

Idk
proudaggie02
AG
Build a consensus against the president If needed, and don't take crap from him. Play nice if he plays nice, but let him know you mean business when the time calls for it. The condo HOA board I'm on is run really well by good people that care about making sound decisions that benefit the owners.
proudaggie02
AG
DP
FinMick
AG
Get an umbrella policy. If the place gets sued, you will likely get named individually as well. Mitigate your risk.
Martin Cash
AG
Make a motion to dissolve the HOA.
ForeverAg
AG
Lost of good ideas already above, mostly the embezzlement and resign ideas.

I am on our board and my goal was to remove the HOA. I didnt hide that goal when I went for election. Since then I was responsible for cutting our dues by ~40%, renegotiating all of our existing contracts for Landscape, Handyman...etc. We created a fb group for all residents (I wouldn't do this one, as people just ***** and think complain on the fb group is notifying the HOA).

Be as transparent as possible, remove grey areas, do everything you can to limit/remove the necessity of your HOA. In a given month I maybe put in 2 hours of work now. You will absolutely hate people while on the board if you do not already. You will also see how ridiculous and dumb people really are. Oddly I enjoy that aspect of this role.
Diggity
AG
never heard of a condo with an HOA. Seems like a disaster.
bthotugigem05
AG
We had our first board meeting last night and I pushed for the following:
  • Our management company's contract is up. There's no big appetite to change companies but I pushed for choosing our current company as Preferred Vendor and make them re-pitch their services to us anyway
  • We already have an unofficial Facebook group that many people think is official. At the end of the day it's inconvenient but it's what people are comfortable using so I'm going to be the board liaison to that group and proactively communicate certain things from the board while reminding people constantly that it's not an official group (the previous mindset was to stay as far away from the group as possible, none of the previous board were members of it)
  • Review outstanding contracts with community porter service, landscaping, and pool services to compare what they should be doing with what they are doing

We have some big ticket items coming up that need to be fixed, which will make a lot of people angry if it's not in their "phase" (we have three unconnected phases under the same HOA) so I proposed we find some smaller cosmetic things to update around the property that people will see on a daily basis (parking lot numbers, tile fixes, etc.) to show that we're doing something for them before the big-ticket stuff starts hitting.

Basically I want contract transparency and accountability with our vendors, which will then flow down to the residents. They will not like all the decisions made but I want them to be informed no matter what.
Seven Costanza
AG
It sounds like you kind of enjoy it.
ATM9000
AG
SteveBott said:

Resign

Honestly this.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate HOA's and their function and have a high appreciation for folks that run their boards. I did this once and it was an epic time suck and pain in the ass and it is fairly thankless. Part of this is most people including those on the Board understand what a Board of Directors function really is.
BeenSent
AG
As a fairly new "default" president -- I am so overwhelmed. I mean, I have a life too -- I am volunteering for the neighborhood and it is really rough. It is a huge time commitment and I can't get over how many people think HOA is trying to "impose" on your rights as a homeowner -- my only goal is to keep the HOA so that we prevent renters (in our by-laws) and hopefully keep the entrances to our neighborhood pleasant and low maintenance... but -- it is a really tough job.

Seriously, people who complain -- understand -- we aren't on the Board to "rule" you -- we are happy to have you take our place... just volunteer.

an overwhelmed how prez...
one MEEN Ag
AG
How many cars do you currently have parked in your front lawn right now?
Ol_Ag_02
AG
I would be happy if our HOA limited their job to maintaining the common areas. Hell we even allow renters. Which I'm not happy about, but not my property, so shouldn't be my decision.

We do have an Architecture Comm which has just gone ape ***** Their stated goal is to maintain visual unity amongst all properties in the hood (400 ish). Their idea I visual unity is a frozen point in time from approx 1992.

The design laws actually require you to get pre approval to plant landscaping, including grass. They haven't actually enforced that one yet, but they did fine and subsequently threaten foreclose on an owner becuase his new front door didn't meet specs.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Oh also. They recently spent a $250,000 HOA surplus on a non structural, non sound deadening, architectural wall along the front on the main entrance.

They were concerned our neighborhood wasn't being adequately as represented as some of the newer ones along the main drag through town.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

How many cars do you currently have parked in your front lawn right now?

Zero. Both of them fit nicely in the three car garage.
bthotugigem05
AG
We had a rash of vehicle break-ins over the past few days. Boy is this fun.
94chem
Our HOA sent out warnings about critical issues like weeds in flower beds, post-marked the day after Imelda. I only get to take so many trips around the sun, and I want to spend them posting on texags and not sending out weed notices.
Teslag
AG
BeenSent said:

As a fairly new "default" president -- I am so overwhelmed. I mean, I have a life too -- I am volunteering for the neighborhood and it is really rough. It is a huge time commitment and I can't get over how many people think HOA is trying to "impose" on your rights as a homeowner -- my only goal is to keep the HOA so that we prevent renters (in our by-laws) and hopefully keep the entrances to our neighborhood pleasant and low maintenance... but -- it is a really tough job.

Seriously, people who complain -- understand -- we aren't on the Board to "rule" you -- we are happy to have you take our place... just volunteer.

an overwhelmed how prez...

Hmmm, I can't imagine why that is...
bmks270
AG
I own a condo. The HOA is really good, very reasonable. And about 50% of the units are renters. The HOA background checks all renters.

I actually think being rentable makes the property value go up. It's a calm and quite community. The HOA hires off duty cops to sit in the neighborhood too.
bthotugigem05
AG
Update: am now HOA Vice President. Things are going ok, and the advice to get to know the bylaws was absolutely critical. It makes so many decisions easier because they've already been made.
busdriver88
AG
posting just so I can follow this easier. It's like the Titanic!!!!!

And, because I just bought a condo in CS for game weekends, etc, and am curious about this HOA I am now sending money to every month.
There may not be time to do the job right, but there is always time to do the job over!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.