Real Estate
Sponsored by

About to remodel a house

2,349 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by MoreCushing4thePushing
MoreCushing4thePushing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Working with an architect, and getting pretty close to start the demo. Started looking at appliances. Planning on going with Wolf. I was going to get the 48" range. It looks great, but I like built-in ovens more because I don't have to bend down to get the food out (thinking about my future back problems). Just gonna go with the LP range top. Anyone have a preference on another brand besides Wolf?

Also, does anyone have steel windows? We're basically going to cut the entire back wall of the house off and have a wall of windows and bi-fold doors. I know they are expensive, but I can't even get a little estimate on price when looking online.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Where are you? One of the companies I've been going back and forth with, Cantera Doors in Houston, would be worth talking to. And yes, very expensive.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I'm out in Millican. I'll reach out to them to see about getting an evaluation done.
nonameag99
Viking

Miele
The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
bluestar
The Fife
GrimesCoAg95 said:

bluestar
This right here. It'll outlast the rest of the house.
Furlock Bones
AG
Not much to add except get one with a griddle.
dubi
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Not much to add except get one with a griddle.

We have a griddle on our GE Cafe and very seldom use it.
rononeill
We went Thermadore. Happened to have a relationship through work and got a deal. But the deal aside, toured the major Bosch showroom in CA and they had some head to head demonstrations that really showed a performance difference between Thermadore and the rest of the pack (Viking, GE Monogram, and Wolf). What was really interesting was the broiler test. They put a cookie sheet lined with white bread in each of the ovens set to broil and it showed the heat distribution pretty vividly in which parts of the pan browned/burned/etc. Also, Thermadore ranges have an x-low setting that basically times the burner on and off to maintain a super low heat - think melting chocolate.
rononeill
Also, befriend a plumber. Most plumbers have relationships with suppliers and many of the suppliers carry a whole range of stuff - Fergusson. Their plumbing contract pricing relationship should extend throughout the supplier's lines of goods. Could work for light fixtures too.

And lastly, use build.com to price check and negotiate with all of your fixture suppliers. Other friends that can help out are interior designers, landscape guys, and architects - basically anyone who specifies things. We also found that build.com was super competitive on cabinet pulls, door hardware, etc. Don't be afraid to extract your allowances from your builder (make sure you get credit for their markup too) and purchase some of the touchy feely stuff yourself. You'll get a bunch of CC points and will be more judicious in your selections since it's "real" money.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
https://www.glassexpanse.com/

These look pretty baller

No idea on cost
Diggity
AG
can't be cheap. I know builders screw you on options but I want to say a more basic system was around $1K per linear foot.

Problem in Houston is that I could never leave the silly thing open because of bugs.
BDJ_AG
AG
I'll second the Thermador...I put it in my house that we remodeled (range and dishwasher) and were really happy with it. Current house has Wolf and while you can't beat the look of those red knobs I thought the simmer function was better on the Thermador.

I also agree on the griddle choice depending on how big you are going with your range / cooktop. Current house has a 36" range with the grill option...never use it...griddle would get used a lot based on the fact that I bring out a griddle to use quite often.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
We went the all Thermador. Their product seemed legit enough, but the deals they offered couldn't be beat. I couldn't leave that much money on the table.

As for the windows, I got 3 quotes for steel windows, all within $90 of each other. When I say they are expensive, I mean, crazy expensive. If you ever think about getting them, it seems like the going rate is around $100 sq. ft. right now.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
We are actually using this company for an exterior and interior door.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.