Real Estate
Sponsored by

Down Payments and COVID

1,158 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Red Pear Realty
hijakeroo123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My fiance and I are currently looking into whether to buy a house in the Dallas area around when we get married early next year, or to wait a year before buying. One of the factors in the discussion is the down payment amount. At the start of COVID, it seems that many lenders tightened their standards to strictly require 20% down for conventional loans. Has this loosened at all since? For context, both of us have excellent credit if that affects anything down payment-wise.
jopatura
AG
We only put 10% down on a conventional loan without selling our old house (so we were pushing the debt ratios). Everything closed just fine. Excellent credit as well.

From what I was hearing the troubles start more with bad credit.
jja79
AG
If the loan amount is below $510,400 20% isn't required.
SteveBott
AG
You can put as little as 3% with very good credit. 5% is better
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Two solid lenders on this thread that can help you get a loan with less than 20% down. If you were speaking with the big banks like Chase or WFC about a loan, their standards have changed to require 20% down, but those guys are terrible to begin with (you are literally just a number to them) so probably best to steer clear.

FWIW I got a loan from Chase while technically an employee of them, and it was an awful experience.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.