Real Estate
Sponsored by

Home for sale in Sawyer Heights area

3,394 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by GarlandAg2012
GarlandAg2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Completely renovated home for sale in Sawyer Heights. Extremely walkable location, priced very compettiively.

https://www.har.com/homedetail/1815-taylor-st-houston-tx-77007/2951113

Disclosure: I am an investor on this property renovation. If this post isn't allowed, please delete. I can try to answer any questions people may have.
flyingaggie12
AG
That's a great looking home. Congrats. Would love to ask you questions about the investment process and bidding out work, fees, etc if you're open to that.
Stan Crowch
AG
Some constructive criticism for you. That is a honestly a pretty crappy lot within the neighborhood and based on those pics that rehab is middle of the road. On a psf basis you are priced on par/above with some of the best historic renovations done in the neighborhood (by FW Heritage and few other groups). I think you are going to have a really tough time at at that price but I wish you all the best. Hopefully you guys aren't in the deal for more than 425k-450k. Also I would clean the dirt off the porch and retake those pics. Good luck!
Diggity
AG
I'll echo Stan's comments. Might be worth your time to do some landscaping in the front too. The inside is nice enough but the curb appeal is lacking.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Thank you guys for the feedback. I am only a minority investor. I will pass the comments on.
MAS444
AG
Yeah 356/ft seems very high.
Stan Crowch
AG
Here are some examples of rehabs in the First Ward that have been able to command that $/psf

http://fwheritage.com/
Foamcows
AG
I would assume the price is because the house is on a 5000 sq ft lot... but I don't see anything that shows off that lot. The front yard is a basic gravel driveway, the house is sub 2k in sq footage, so i would assume you have nearly 2k in sq ft in the back yard. That's your selling feature!

The ROC builders homes with a 2 car garage, 3bed /2.5 bath, engineered slab, 2300 sq ft living space in the same neighborhood are selling for 440k. They only come with a 300 sq ft yard in the back, so thats how you need to compete.

Stan Crowch
AG
It is a 5,000 sf lot but it is in an especially ****ty location and driving by it today confirmed Diggity's comment that is has zero curb appeal. It needs some landscaping and and a front fence at minimum. But I agree with your comment that the pics/description should highlight the backyard space.
BTD
I'd spend money on a super private, high fence in the back. From what I can tell in the last pic it's still chain link.

I live a few streets away and that location would be a tough sell currently. The houses next to you aren't doing any favors. That little parcel of houses there always seems so exposed and out of place. Landscaping and fencing could do a lot.

Inside looks nice! And sawyer heights is a cool place... and will be a long term great investment for who ever boys it.
el_scorcho
AG
Absolutely agree on the fence in the front and I would add in a driveway gate.
JamesBREI06
AG
Agreed on the lot. Big plus is having a chick fila in your front yard though.
Diggity
AG
Stan Crowch...the soothsayer

You guys have dropped the price $60K but apparently refuse to do anything about the crap landscaping and asphalt "driveway"?

How much would that have cost?
BTD
I walk buy that house almost daily and wanted to throw my 2 cents again. I really think if you put in a nice cedar privacy fence you would get traction. The house feels so exposed. One of the biggest features of your home versus other in the area is a private yard but it's not at all being optimized. I would want as much privacy from the neighbors as possible.
rlb28
AG
Location, location, location. It's always interesting to see the prices of homes in the city or anywhere in California. Here's what you get for $512,000 just 45 minutes from Houston:

4,677 SF
histag10
AG
My $0.02, for what its worth...

The front looks soooo bland. At least put some potted plants on the front porch to give it color and a little "pop". Heck, even a rocking chair with a throw pillow and a small table on the porch would help

Blinds or curtains would have done you a huge favor, as you basically are looking at your neighbors house out of every window (and their house looks to be incredibly close).

Is it standard for the shower tile to not go up past the shower head? Seems like a great way to get some water damage.

Will that back deck pass any bank appraisal for a loan with no railing? I thought VA and FHA typically have issues with that.
Diggity
AG
brain eating amoebas put a damper on home values I'm told.
rlb28
AG
you win the Internet today
BTD
rlb28 said:

Location, location, location. It's always interesting to see the prices of homes in the city or anywhere in California. Here's what you get for $512,000 just 45 minutes from Houston:

4,677 SF

Out of all the $500k homes 45 minutes from Houston... you picked this one.

Weird.
rlb28
AG
it's a friend's house and $512,000 like the other. did you want me to sit and search for 45 minutes? Is there something wrong with this house i picked? geez, how weird.
ATM9000
AG
Well... judging by your friend's half a year on the market and $50k+ price reduction, it might not have been the best example anyway.
ItsA&InotA&M
Are there any steps leading from the back porch to the ground?

Also, the a/c unit sitting next to that porch kills any chance of having a relaxing time on the porch.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
It's not the Renovation it's the location across from Crockett elementary. Morning and afternoon Traffic will kill any resale value.
BTD
It's the houses next to it that are the deal breaker for me. If the neighbors were Reno's as well, I think it would be alright. Most townhomes In the area are around 500k give or take, so a free standing house has upside. Currently the neighboring houses are awwwwwful. Hence a fence would be a start.
GarlandAg2012
AG
I appreciate the feedback.
the_batman26: I guess yall need this, its something to take pride in. At least the Feds trusted us with the Space Center; and I seem to recall the Feds not having the best time in Dallas.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.