Real Estate
Sponsored by

What would you do

1,234 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jmazz
UmustBKidding
How long do you want to ignore this user?

My inlaws are getting up in age and really want us to move near to them. I am portable, just have lived in College Station since the late 70's and who want to move 50 years of stuff. Built a house in 1996 on ~4.4 acres south of town but in the last several years have been assimilated by the borg of College Station. CAD has it listed a a little greater than 6000sq ft, I think its several hundred short of that. In any case its a simple design, no billion dollar fixtures, crown molding and other expensive things typical of houses this size in fancy subdivisions. But since its 21 years old it needs things. Roof will need replaced because of windstorm, just did the AC's, need kitchen countertops, gutters etc but maybe $30k worth of misc stuff. No golf course lawn, road base driveway and extra stuff like that could easily add another $30-50K. Also have small pasture with wire horse fence that could go or stay.
People say big houses people just prefer to build what they want where they want it. But is there any market for fixer upper for buyers or speculators. Not really wanting to give away but willing to make concessions to cover deferred maintenance and give some one a chance to pick what they want. Don't want to do granite they they want quartz, composite roof when they want metal. Or am I better off spending the money and doing something even if wrong.
I don't have an appraisal and doubt there are any comps, things like zillo have valued from 500K to 750K depending of the phase of the moon. The CAD is likely low but don't want to talk to loud or they will fix it.
Am sure most big house agents would recommend a $200K remodel, that is not going to happen. Doubt there are many $750K FSBO properties either.
What should I do? Or make me an offer I can't refuse.
jagvocate
AG
Make your in-laws indemnify you if you sell below an agreed upon price. No reason for you to be worse off for helping them.
bcasey03
AG
Can they move?
cadetjay02
AG
This seems very simple.

If the in-laws live in a more desirable place then CS and you want to move, then call a realtor or two and see what they think you should do. Take their advice as you see fit.

If you don't want to move then find an alternative to appease your significant other so you don't have to move. Then fix things as you see fit.

mgreen
I am a realtor and long time Texag member. PM me if you want to chat.
AggieAces06
AG
I'd talk to a few local agents and see what their feel of the market is. You might be surprised what people will buy when it comes with some acreage.
jmazz
AG
Howdy. I'm a local Broker and also own a HomeVestors franchise (We Buy Ugly Houses). We don't just buy ugly houses though...we buy lots, redevelopment opportunities, rentals, fixer uppers, etc. I'd be happy to run #s and see where our offer might be. We are a discount home buyer and not a fit for every seller but it's no skin off your back. Also, my real estate brokerage does flat fee listings versus the traditional percentage based commission so if that's of interest we could further discuss that as well. My cell is 281-814-zero six six five. Email is Jeff.mazzolini at Gmail.com.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.