Real Estate
Sponsored by

I am relocating to Dallas from the UK ?

1,299 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CS4LIFE
uk2texas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am really needing some advise from local texans. I am from the UK, I have never in my life visited Texas or even set foot in Texas but have just landed a Job, in Downtown Dallas, Texas! Crazy, right! I know! However, YOLO!

I am needing some advise regarding apartments, properties, neighborhoods, etc.

When I was doing my research I found out that you guys actually use apartment locators ? I don't mean to sound ignorant here but this is not something we even do in the UK.

http://txhighrisers.com/

What I am confused about, is that they are offering a cash rebate, when I move in ? Again, this is not something we do in the UK, is anybody able to shed any light on how this works ? Sorry to sound stupid, it's just I am trying to have as much knowledge as I can and be 100% on everything before I go ahead. This is a new country with a different culture and totally different way of life, so want to know what you all think, before scheduling in viewings and stuff.

Do any of you have any advise on neighborhoods to stay clear of ? Good areas for british people to chill ? etc, any scams to watch out for ?

Thanks for any knowledge or help guys!
Scruffy
AG
Howdy! and welcome.

My wife is from London and first moved to Texas (College Station) for her post-doc back around 2013 or so.
I know she had some advice from her department, so I suggest talking with your company's HR and co-workers on good places to live etc.
One thing she had to consider when choosing a place to live was the fact she didn't drive. Being from London, she never had to. Texas (and most of the U.S.) is not particularly friendly to pedestrians and not having a vehicle can severely limit your options. In many cities, public transportation is not really an option (or a safe one) so if you don't drive (and she just said if you are from the countryside you probably do so feel free to ignore this part) proximity to grocery stores etc. is important (she chose her place do to being walking distance from H.E.B.)

Another thing to keep in mind is Texas is roughly 2.5 times larger than the U.K.
So just popping down to see the Alamo or something like that is about a 4ish hour drive (at 70MPH).

Sorry I can't help with Dallas specific information, I'm from Houston.
Best of luck.
SteveBott
AG
If you are coming in the next two months the first time you go outside between noon and 8PM you will think you are in hell. It's HOT here in the summer. But from October to May you will be in heaven, mostly. Even we locals dread the summer and most of are used to it.

Locators are legit. They've always been free to the renter. Cash back is a new twist. I'd take it. They all do the same thing although they may have favorites so working with two is not a bad idea. Get as close to the office as you can but in a safe community. It's hit and miss in Dallas downtown area.

As said if you don't drive learn before getting here. It the only transportation option in Texas. For the most part anyway. I'm sure there are bars and such that you Brits hang out at. You just need to network to find them. Places that show lots of soccer, as we call it, is a good start. If you are single you will be impressed by the ladies.

If I think of I will come back or ask more questions
SteveBott
AG
And we have a Dallas/Ft Worth forum called Metro. You should post there as well

https://texags.com/forums/37
Absolute
AG
Make sure to buy a cowboy hat, pistol and learn to ride a horse. The TV shows are totally true......

Really though, welcome to Dallas. Can't help much on apartment stuff, but you'll want to be pretty close to your work probably. Traffic and commuting has got to be insanely different from the UK.

The weather thing is probably pretty significant. Summer is brutal.

Dallas is pretty diverse with people from across America and the world, so culture wise it should be cool.
ATM9000
AG
Absolute said:

Make sure to buy a cowboy hat, pistol and learn to ride a horse. The TV shows are totally true......

Really though, welcome to Dallas. Can't help much on apartment stuff, but you'll want to be pretty close to your work probably. Traffic and commuting has got to be insanely different from the UK.

The weather thing is probably pretty significant. Summer is brutal.

Dallas is pretty diverse with people from across America and the world, so culture wise it should be cool.
If dude lived in London, don't worry... he either sees the piddly Texas traffic and raises you double or he's well aware of being close to work from undoubtedly ahis hour log commute to work from basically whatever point A is to point B.
gig em 02
Budget/salary? Which building downtown? Age? Any relevant demographic you are looking for?
cadetjay02
AG
While waiting on the answers to questions above. I would suggest living near downtown (depending on family situation) but there is a decent public transportation system (DART) that can get you downtown efficiently and open up more neighborhood options.

I would suggest avoiding the Southside Flats Complex, it's often challenging to locate your apartment.
flyingaggie12
AG
I work in Commercial Real Estate and have toured many of the apartment buildings in town. I also live in the city and can give you a summary of all the areas of town and neighborhood overviews.

There's been a lot of new construction and as a result there's a lot of incentives to attract tenants in order to lease up properties. You can usually find a month or even two months off a 12 to 15 month lease. There's a lot of different price ranges and a lot of different offerings so it's best to talk about it so you have a good overview. I also have my real estate license and can act as your locator (at no cost to you).

On another note Dishoom and The Ned in London are one my favorite places on earth.
gig em 02
flyingaggie12 said:

Shoot me a text on What'sApp and let's get on the phone +1 (281) 658-5233. I work in Commercial Real Estate and have toured many of the apartment buildings in town. I also live in the city and can give you a summary of all the areas of town and neighborhood overviews.

There's been a lot of new construction and as a result there's a lot of incentives to attract tenants in order to lease up properties. You can usually find a month or even two months off a 12 to 15 month lease. There's a lot of different price ranges and a lot of different offerings so it's best to talk about it so you have a good overview. I also have my real estate license and can act as your locator (at no cost to you).

On another note Dishoom and The Ned in London are one my favorite places on earth.

Definitely do this. Dallas has changed a lot in the last 5 years and most of the olds here will give you advice from 30 years ago that is probably outdated.
Ragoo
AG
Lease a BMW
Live in leased BMW
don't date Debbie
Dallas_Aggie
AG
I'm an Exclusive Buyer's Agent in D/FW. Shoot me an email and I'll help you out.

Alysse@HelpUBuyAmerica.com
chris1515
AG
The locator gets paid by the apartment company for bringing in business. They are passing part of that payment along to you in order to get you to use them instead of one of their competitors.

A good locator service is very helpful. I don't know which are good and which are not.
CS4LIFE
I just moved my Aggie '20 to Las Colinas for his first job post college.
The Las Colinas area is very nice and just a quick DART ride from Downtown Dallas.
We used two locators but found the perfect brand new complex on our own driving around
the Lake Carolyn area. The complex he selected was new and he is the first to live in his unit.
It has all the bells and whistles (amenities) and not too full with the slow down from COVID.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.