Real Estate
Sponsored by

Recs for Snow Ski Property

1,944 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 10andBOUNCE
puryear8c
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking in either New Mexico or Colorado for a property that we could rent during ski season and enjoy ourselves during the hot Texas months. Probably could spend $750K +/-
Any ideas or thoughts?
Specific resort towns to research?
Thanks.
cadetjay02
AG
Better snow and demand in Colorado.

Breckenridge would be a good start as a rental property because it has a lot of winter and summer traffic. That being said, if you're there full time in the summer, there will be a lot tourists around as well. It's a high elevation so cooler summer temps.

I also like Crested Butte. Mt. Crested Butte will be better for the winter ski crowd, but not as much summer demand. If you go in the actual town of Crested Butte then you'll still rent well in the winter, but you'll probably enjoy your summers more. It is a great little town and has a more local feel than Breck.

I just got back from several days in the Frisco/Dillon/Silverthorn area. This would be a nice place to summer because of Lake Dillon and all the surrounding activities. There is no skiing on site, but it's on I-70 and within 20 minutes of Keystone, Arapaho Basin, Breckenridge, Copper Mountain, and Vail.

I really like Gunnison during the summer, but I'm not sure how well the winter rental would do because it's 25 minutes to the nearest ski area, Crested Butte.
clobby
AG
Quote:

I just got back from several days in the Frisco/Dillon/Silverthorn area. This would be a nice place to summer because of Lake Dillon and all the surrounding activities. There is no skiing on site, but it's on I-70 and within 20 minutes of Keystone, Arapaho Basin, Breckenridge, Copper Mountain, and Vail.

I think this would be a good location unless you are looking for ski in-ski out. You would be able to market the rental for multiple ski areas and there is a ton of stuff going on in the summer also.
Rice and Fries
I grew up in Breck. It's a great area year round, save for two weeks during mud season.
AggieIce
AG
Fortunate to have family with property there:

Crested Butte is a very fun area and they certainly take pride in having a "kooky" vibe. But it is secluded and very tough to get to year round (Gunnison airport is pricey and flights get delayed/cancelled all the time). Skiing is fair, with a huge selection of XX Blacks. Biking is awesome, and very good hiking towards the Elk Mtns. My grandparents have two places here and went here my whole life, but that will come to an end soon.

Breckenridge I've only been to about three times (all summer) and will be there this thanksgiving to ski. This is much more of an "established" region and appears to have significantly more ski trails. Summer hiking options are good in every direction. This is the area my sister has a place, and my wife and I are interested in looking for another.

My parents just put an offer on a place in Silverthorne. First impression was this is much more of a "city" and "suburban" area. But as the above poster said you are in close proximity to a host of resort areas.
JustPanda
AG
Ege/Vail buy a 4 plex
JustPanda
AG
Vail isn't 20 minutes from Frisco. It's 30 minimum on clear summer day.
JustPanda
AG
Evolve Rentals does a nice Vail vs Breck vs Winter Park rental analysis each year. Vail has longer average stays during peak and non peak, higher rental rates, and similar occupancy % across 12 months. They also are booked further in advance.

The supply for rentals in SumCo is also much larger than Vail which can cause some headaches during the off season. A
The Silverback
AG
You need bigger budget for Vail....Breck is expensive as well but nothing like Vail.

Buddy bought a nice 4 Bedroom house on American Way outside of Breck last year for $1.2M. His rental income is about $60k after all the damn expenses so still doesn't cover the note but definitely helps the sting.
JustPanda
AG
Ege/Vail 4bdrm townhomes are less than $800,000 with many in the 600-700s - They lease for $1000+/berm/month long term or $500-1000 per day in the winter. Many locals have been priced out by landlords moving from monthly to nightly vrbo airbnb.

https://www.vailrealestate.com/search/PropertyStatus/Active/MLSID/125,130,492/Is_Summit/0/community/eaglevail/orderby/list_price/descending/offset/12/count/12
JustPanda
AG
You're also on the bus route for Avon/BC w the ability to ski home on the E/E stone creek chutes. 5 minutes to meadow mountain and Minturn 10 minutes to Vail hr to Glenwood and 35/40 minutes to EGE airport. It's the best location and most established areas still available under a million.

You can also look at Avon townhomes - especially ones close to the riverfront gondola or that maintain private shuttle access to BC/Vail - you can find many of them under $650,000. There are way more available if you look at 2/2 but here's a list of some 3/3

https://www.vailrealestate.com/search/view//Bedrooms/3/MarketArea/Avon,Avon%20&%20Wildridge/Max_Price/750000/MLSID/125,130,492/PropertyStatus/Active/Property_Type/198
bkag9824
AG
Do you live there full time, have a rental, other?

Curious if you have metrics on rentals: average rented days/month in peak/off-peak, ave. rate, etc.

Or does the aforementioned Evolve Rentals have good data? I'm fond of Frisci/Dillon/Silverthorne for ease of access to such a variety of mountains (don't forget Loveland) compared to just Breck/Vail, etc. Imagine might have better success renting consistently due to central location, access to summer activities on the reservoir, etc.

But would like more quantified data to compare.
JustPanda
AG
Yes - I have the Vail/BC the Breck and the Winter Park data. It's in JPEG/PDF form so I don't know how to post it
bkag9824
AG
JustPanda said:

Yes - I have the Vail/BC the Breck and the Winter Park data. It's in JPEG/PDF form so I don't know how to post it

Mind sharing with me? bk ag 9824 @hotmail (remove the spaces obviously)
10andBOUNCE
AG
I'd check out Blue River, which is about 10 minutes south of Breckenridge. Can probably get a little more for your money.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.