Real Estate
Sponsored by

Selling house - AC replace or not ?

2,465 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jack Pearson
Jack Pearson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My house is 20 years old and with two units, a 4 on downstairs and a 2 ton upstairs....I think 12 seer.....I had coils replaced in both back in 2012/2013 (one one summer and other next). Both units still use r22 freon and look their age but have been running fine until Friday night.

The 4 ton needed a capacitor to get back up and running saturday morning. A friend of my father in laws works for a AC distributor and he was the one that came out to fix my unit. He saw the condition of my units and said he could get me a good deal on replacing them. He said my coils are good and match up with new condensers.

His offer for a 4 ton Goodman 14 seer is $2900 installed and with flushing the lines of r22 and $2000 for my 2 ton doing the same....$4900 out the door.

Now I am in the process of getting plans done to build a house.....should be looking to sell my current house probably April/May of 21. As for as resale or just selling point, is it worth putting $4900 and having new units vs old rusty looking 20 year old units when I go to sell? I just put a new roof on last week and replastered the pool in April of 19....so with new AC units thats a remodel of 3 major issues and I would think would be a good selling point that would pay off in selling price vs giving credits off selling price for replacement?

1)Good price on those units?
2)Good investment?
Martin Q. Blank
If they work, I wouldn't replace them. Especially staying on R22. If you're willing to give the buyer $4900 in credit, keep that in your pocket for the after-inspection requests.
Jack Pearson
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

If they work, I wouldn't replace them. Especially staying on R22. If you're willing to give the buyer $4900 in credit, keep that in your pocket for the after-inspection requests.
That was my initial gut thought but now second guessing myself.....what happens when as part of the deal they want 10k credit for after inspection fixes which include AC? Instead of $4900 credit maybe I get $15k more for the house with all the big updated expenses recently done. I got a great deal on the roof, a good deal on the plaster and tile work on my pool plus this....all in I would only be 1900 out of pocket on roof +6000 for plaster/tile +4900 ac = $12,800

Houses in my neighborhood have gone anywhere from 90 sqft to 115sqft (east side of houston, late 90s early 2000 development)at 3150sqft that's a nice increase if I can get closer to the top. I'm torn
Bill Robbins
AG
I'm not sure how your market compares to here but in B-CS it is a buyer's market for houses priced above $250k. If you were my client, I would recommend making the replacement.
With recent updates on three big ticket items ( roof, pool, and HVAC) you will have a better shot at beating the competition.
Jack Pearson
AG
Bill Robbins said:

I'm not sure how your market compares to here but in B-CS it is a buyer's market for houses priced above $250k. If you were my client, I would recommend making the replacement.
With recent updates on three big ticket items ( roof, pool, and HVAC) you will have a better shot at beating the competition.
Here id say its a sellers market.....houses are hot in my neighborhood. I dont think I am going to have trouble selling but I think I have a better shot at 340k with new HVAC than I do without it. Is $4900 now worth 15K down the road.
SteveBott
AG
4900 is a very decent deal for two units. Goodman does not have the greatest rep but I got a 10 year warranty. It has run with zero issues or maintenance. So that is one thing.

I replace now while you got a deal working. I paid 4K for I think a 4 ton. Now about now vs later I'd do it now because the seller will want them replaced. He is going to get his own estimate and it will almost assuredly more costs.
Jack Pearson
AG
SteveBott said:

4900 is a very decent deal for two units. Goodman does not have the greatest rep but I got a 10 year warranty. It has run with zero issues or maintenance. So that is one thing.

I replace now while you got a deal working. I paid 4K for I think a 4 ton. Now about now vs later I'd do it now because the seller will want them replaced. He is going to get his own estimate and it will almost assuredly more costs.
Thats the way Im leaning too
Oautlawag2005
AG
I'd replace
Texker
AG
When we sold our house it needed some cosmetic updates but the systems were solid. New hail resistant roof(due to storms), gutters with screens, recent 2 speed 16 SEER AC, Pella windows, Liftmaster GDO, etc. Sold to the first buyer for full price.

Having said that I'd prefer the upgrades not be done because all too often corners are cut on new mechanical installs. I'd rather bring in my preferred guys and have it done right instead of paying extra for a sub-par upgrade only to rip it out and do it correctly.
SteveBott
AG
I agree 80% of the time with you. Small stuff say 1500-2000 needs a seller concession to pay closing costs and new owner fixes it their way.

But big ticket stuff it always is the seller responsibility. 6k for a roof or.A/C. All fairly big tickets
AggiePlaya
AG
$4900 for both? Do it! They may hammer you on inspection and ask for repairs, but they won't with updated units so I think it makes sense
mgreen
As a realtor I would suggest you do it.
Jack Pearson
AG
Thanks installing this wekeend if we dont get flooded out
Sazerac
AG
I wouldn't do it.
See what someone under contract asks for before you just blow $5k that you very well may not get back.
oldschool87
AG
SteveBott said:

Condensors only.... Not sure that is a smoking deal...

Cut 2 pieces of copper, sodder, fill with freon, and there out the door in an hour...

I just replaced my 2 units, 5 ton and 3.5 ton, plus, all the stuff in the attic, entire new AC/Heaters/fan, drain pans, plumbing, condensor pads, system top to bottom, soup to nuts.

16/17 Sear Trane's. Talked the guy down to 13K out the door, tax title, license, 10 year warranty 1 year labor.

I have got ice on my keyboard in the mornings...

Whoop Delecto
AG
SteveBott
AG
That doesn't make sense. If new it has a 10 year full warranty and life time on the costliest part, can't remember the part name. You ride the warranty to end at least and replace when a major part breakdown or just 15 years or so. That is what I got anyway.

Mine is going on 10 years and never needed even one maintenance service
Whoop Delecto
AG
SteveBott
AG
Huh? Lowering your offer is cost to the seller. Regardless of reason. If I was the seller I'd reject your offer period if you gave me that reason.
Jack Pearson
AG
oldschool87 said:

SteveBott said:

Condensors only.... Not sure that is a smoking deal...

Cut 2 pieces of copper, sodder, fill with freon, and there out the door in an hour...

I just replaced my 2 units, 5 ton and 3.5 ton, plus, all the stuff in the attic, entire new AC/Heaters/fan, drain pans, plumbing, condensor pads, system top to bottom, soup to nuts.

16/17 Sear Trane's. Talked the guy down to 13K out the door, tax title, license, 10 year warranty 1 year labor.

I have got ice on my keyboard in the mornings...

I called around, to replace just the condensers with various brands was 6500-7500.....so probably saved min 1k maybe up to 2k.

They started work at 6:30 am and finished at 10:30 with 3 people....a solid 4 hours of labor.

I had both coils replaced back in 2013 so no need to replace those.

Ive read various things about going to high in seer causes issues with efficiency with unit not getting to run a full cycle.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.