Real Estate
Sponsored by

Home Warranty Recommendations

803 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by E
GEA2007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any advice on which company to go with for a home warranty? First-time buyer here, and my personal leaning is to not mess with this, but the seller has offered to pay for a year's worth of warranties. Just having a hard time parceling out the differences between the major companies. TIA.
dallasiteinsa02
Find the closest one to the amount the seller is paying. Cancel it and take the refund a few days after closing.
09Ag
AG
I've had Landmark and Old Republic for my rental home. I could never get them out in a timely manner (and then they would never actually replace anything when they finally did come out), so I basically had to hire and pay the services on my own to keep my tenants happy. After my 1 free year expired I swore I would never pay for home warranty.

However, I'm currently buying a 20 year home that has 3 HVAC units. Having 3 units that could potentially fail makes me a little uneasy, so I will accept the 1 year home warranty credit (rather than just ask for a cash credit instead). I'm going with Old Republic again. If I make it through the first year without any major issues I will not renew it.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Just say skip the warranty and pay $500 of my closing costs
Rice and Fries
We took AHS when we bought our first house. Don't expect shyt from them on major issues, but generally speaking I had no issues with them helping repair some minor stuff in the house.

Ultimately, don't renew at the end of your term. And don't expect them to willingly pay in any reasonable time, without a fight, on major appliances like a fridge or waterheater or god forbid an AC.

They threw some bull**** "your system was not properly installed to up to code" as the reason to not replace our broken AC system. Then they made me spend an hour and 15 minutes on the phone on hold to cancel their service. Never again.
Shaun05
AG
Purchased our home a few years ago and got Fidelity National Home Warranty included with closing. 1st year replaced the garage door opener (cheap expense), quick response to that.

We decided to renew for the 2nd year and had the microwave go out 6 months out of manufacturers warranty. That one was more painful.. quick initial response but then they tried to replace every control board in that thing which i think took 4 months due to part backlog. Eventually said they couldnt fix it and paid out $700 to get a new one.

Didn't renew for the 3rd year.

If you do want to get one I would go back to Fidelity based on their response/outcome.
[url=https://www.homewarranty.com/][/url]
cjsag94
AG
3 weeks ago.

https://texags.com/forums/59/topics/3120222
dallasiteinsa02
Think about what the cost would be to actual insure what they claim they are insuring, plus marketing costs, and profit. It would be tremendously higher. Also, they don't make any attempt to care about the current age or condition of the home to write a policy. That should be a red flag right there.
E
AG
Depending on the age of the house, it's not always necessary to get a home warranty company as a lot of appliances/equipment have a standard manufacturer warranty.

But if you do want a home warranty and the seller is paying for it, I've had good experiences with BFS. Don't go with American Home Shield whatsoever!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.