Real Estate
Sponsored by

Appraisal without someone coming inside?

1,548 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bob_Ag
Madmarttigan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife doesn't really want any randoms inside the house right now for our refinance. Is there a way to get an appraisal done without someone coming inside?
plowboy1065
S
Not that I've ever seen. You and your wife are certainly allowed to be there during the appraisal
jja79
AG
Assuming you're completing a Freddie or Fannie refinance you may qualify for an appraisal waiver. Check with your lender. As long as it's not a cash out loan the waivers are becoming common.
JamesBREI06
AG
I believe that right now, during corona, you can. I had seen an article about relaxing standards for inspections
aggie appraiser
Some people offer them due to the corona virus. I don't know the requirements because I have avoided getting involved with them.
Shooter McGavin
AG
If the home is listed for sale and I have appraised it before, I will take the assignment as I can document current condition using Realtor photos and interview.

Otherwise, without an interior inspection who the heck knows what is going on in the house right?

You might find a lender that has a policy allowing an appraisal without an interior inspection. It will likely depend on the type of loan, loan amount and your credit score/income/assets.

As an aside, in the early going of the Covid scare I would use booties, mask and gloves when inspecting, but I didn't do it for long. Now I just have to try to keep people from shaking my hand. Most folks are not so worried about it.

SteveBott
AG
The lender has no way to make the decision. It's 100% on Fannie/Freddie to decide. And waivers are being given less the 2 months ago.

I would tell the appraiser he needs to use a hand sanitizer you put at the front door and wear a mask. Also the wife should leave the home while he is inside. Just go to her car or back yard. Wait 15 minutes before returning the home. Disinfect upon returning to the home. She should wear a mask as well.

All you can do.
Bob_Ag
AG
Yes it's possible, they are called exterior or desktop appraisals. Honestly, appraisers don't want to be touching things in your house as much as your wife doesn't. It's in your best interest to let them do an inspection, esp if anything significant has been done to the house. Otherwise, the appraisal is full of assumptions about quality and condition. Leave the lights on and open all the doors.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.