Real Estate
Sponsored by

"Verbal agreement" for home equity...

1,204 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by hbc07
Raptor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our friends went through the preliminary process of getting a home equity loan through Texans Credit Union and they are now looking at other options like refinancing and pulling out cash.

Notes: They are getting 4.2% for 20 years for $100k For the home equity. They have $144k left on a 30 (28) year mortgage at 5%.

I told them to explore refinancing, but Texans Credit Union told them they have a "verbal agreement" on the home equity. Is there anything legally binding them to going through with the home equity loan?

They haven't physically signed or docusigned anything.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

dallasiteinsa02
Probably only with that lender. They may not want them to change programs.
Jay@AgsReward.com
Sponsor
AG
With a 5% rate they should do a first lien cash as they would get a much better rate on their existing loan as well as the not having the higher rate on the second. And no they are under no obligation.
hbc07
AG
Most likely no. Statute of frauds in Texas requires real estate contracts over $50k (IIRC) to be in writing in order to be enforceable.
TriAg2010
AG
Raptor said:

I told them to explore refinancing, but Texans Credit Union told them they have a "verbal agreement" on the home equity. Is there anything legally binding them to going through with the home equity loan?

I would make a verbal offer to kiss my ass. If that's their customer service before signing a contract, I'm not looking forward to the after.
Raptor
AG
Thank you everyone.

Jay, I passed this info along to them.

This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

hbc07
AG
In the event it's needed, the statute is Tex. Bus. & Com. Code sec. 26.02(b)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.