Real Estate
Sponsored by

Thoughts on Garage Apartments - Houston Heights

1,450 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by The Fife
txcincinnatus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Starting to look at potentially buying a place in the Heights area. Came across several listings that have garage apartments. Was not something I was initially looking for, but I'm pretty intrigued by the concept. Would be great to have a portion of the mortgage paid for by a renter.

There are obvious drawbacks. Having someone (hopefully we could find a friend of a friend) live in your backyard, extra maintenance, managing it, etc., but I think it may be worth the headache? Realtor said they go for $900 - $1,300 / month depending on location and condition. That's not an insignificant amount of money..

Any thoughts or experiences with garage apartments would be greatly appreciated. Few examples of current listings below for reference.

1. https://www.har.com/homedetail/606b-e-24th-st-houston-tx-77008/14121276
2. https://www.har.com/homedetail/627-peddie-st-houston-tx-77008/9957115
schwack schwack
AG
Those are both really nice properties. The drawback I see to #1's apartment is that is seems awfully open & close to the house if I'm understanding the photos correctly - more of a shared "yard/patio/seating area" and a short walkway between the 2? If I were going to consider a tenant in my backyard, I'd go for the totally detached, more private option in #2.

Also - is the apartment pushing you to a price range/payment that would be hard to make without the additional rental income?

txcincinnatus
AG
Good observations and I'd tend to agree.

Yes, if I'm being honest with myself, I think it has led to a creep in the price of house that I would consider. We could definitely swing houses in this price range, but I'm not sure I would right now without the rental. I'd probably prefer to have more cushion in the budget.
cjsag94
AG
Well, looks like #2 sold today. Not even contract pending.. Sold.

The Houston housing market seems absolutely on fire right now from casual observation. Surprising given oil concerns and the obvious Corona stuff. Is it like this everywhere?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
The heights is almost always like this.
sh6455
My daughter and husband are planning to sell their house in Heights, has a garage apt. If you are interested I can ask her what their time line is
ATM9000
AG
I get the appeal of having a detached living space on your property and even flexing the detached space into a rental of money ever gets tighter.

I know people who buy intending to rent the detached living space immediately and, for the life of me, I don't understand that. A big part of home ownership is having your own space and privacy for your family and friends when you want it. Don't understand the appeal of sharing that space with likely a loose acquaintance at best and complete rando at worst for what's seemingly peanuts ($2-$250 a week most likely).
JamesBREI06
AG
If you are young without kids it is an awesome way to supplement your purchase. I used to own a duplex in Montrose and lived in half and rented the other half.
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

If you are young without kids it is an awesome way to supplement your purchase. I used to own a duplex in Montrose and lived in half and rented the other half.
I wish someone had told me to do this in my 20's. However, I don't think I'd be open to it at this price range & if I had a family. I could tolerate a lot more from people back then but I'd hate to need the rental income to keep my house if I couldn't find someone suitable.
JamesBREI06
AG
schwack schwack said:

Quote:

I wish someone had told me to do this in my 20's. However, I don't think I'd be open to it at this price range & if I had a family. I could tolerate a lot more from people back then but I'd hate to need the rental income to keep my house if I couldn't find someone suitable.

Very true
aggiemike02
AG
Pre kids our heights garage apt was great. Issues were no laundry set up, street parking for the renter and shared access vs separate apt access.

Once we had kids the space was too valuable to us so we only used it for visiting-short term stay family.

We sold last year and moved in to Garden Oaks, quadrupled our yard size but forefitted a garage apt.
The Fife
Never more has this forum needed Ryan the Temp.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.