Real Estate
Sponsored by

Considering building a pool and patio in the Woodlands...

3,626 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Goose06
Goose06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Would appreciate all advice and suggestions anyone has. I do plan to get some local realtor opinions as well but generally understand I won't get all the value back at a sale. Our house is on a 1/2 acre lot and has a really awesome backyard for a pool and we will still have room for a playground, trampoline, etc.

As far as what we intend to build. It will be a pool, extension to our covered patio, and a small outdoor kitchen.

Open to whatever advice anyone here wants to offer, but here are my initial questions:

1. Are there architects who will draw up ideas and then basically be your project manager and bid out different parts of the project? If so, recommendations in the woodlands??

2. What should I be aware of where extra costs in the construction process will pop up (example they give you a design build quote for x but the actual cost ends up being 25% higher because of change orders or whatever it may be)

3. Do's and Don'ts?

I'm sure some discussion will drive more questions. Appreciate any feedback. Don't need to be talked out of doing this, looking for sound advice to help me navigate this process as best as possible. Thanks!
Lone Stranger
Sam Hickey and his team at Creekstone Outdoor Living in Spring would be one option to look at. You can give them your ideas, talk them over and they can work them up. You put the Oculus on and walk through your design to see what you like and don't like or would change. His retail showroom is worth a walk through for anybody looking at developing outdoor space.
Aggie369
AG
Doing pool, roof extension, outdoor kitchen, adding a bathroom, and a chimney in backyard starting next week.

Luxe Outdoors, John Peart is owner and who we work with. We talked with several companies and decided to go with Luxe. Hes been great so far with design ideas. He does 3D drawings for you.

Things that can add or take away $$$
-how far apart is the rebar set for pool?
- is there a hot tub?
- is hot tub raised above pool level?
-is hot tub connected inside perimeter of pool?
-service you want...travertine vs spray decking. Travertine looks better IMO but is more slippery and would have cost me like an extra 10,000 (1,200 sq ft)
-Do they include re-sodding your yard?
-Do they move and replace sprinklers or just cap them?
-do they include landscaping packages?

Do you have young kids? May want to think of a larger sun shelf. May want to think of adding some spots around pool where you can put an umbrella in the ground and can cap it if it's not in use. We added a table in our pool with bench seating so adults have a spot to sit and watch kids. Also added a spot in the table for an umbrella if we want some shade...if not just cap it and no umbrellas. Digging starts next week

Aggie369
AG
Also drainage

Will they add drainage? Tie your gutters into the underground drains? And are they using PVC pipe or the cheap black corrugated pipe?
The Lurker
AG
Goose06 said:

Would appreciate all advice and suggestions anyone has. I do plan to get some local realtor opinions as well but generally understand I won't get all the value back at a sale. Our house is on a 1/2 acre lot and has a really awesome backyard for a pool and we will still have room for a playground, trampoline, etc.

As far as what we intend to build. It will be a pool, extension to our covered patio, and a small outdoor kitchen.

Open to whatever advice anyone here wants to offer, but here are my initial questions:

1. Are there architects who will draw up ideas and then basically be your project manager and bid out different parts of the project? If so, recommendations in the woodlands??

2. What should I be aware of where extra costs in the construction process will pop up (example they give you a design build quote for x but the actual cost ends up being 25% higher because of change orders or whatever it may be)

3. Do's and Don'ts?

I'm sure some discussion will drive more questions. Appreciate any feedback. Don't need to be talked out of doing this, looking for sound advice to help me navigate this process as best as possible. Thanks!
DO NOT use Regal Pools. We were beyond disappointed with them.
Aggie369
AG
Interesting
They were most expensive and had the most awards...what kind of issues did u have?
Bassmaster
AG
We used BJ at Supreme Pools & Spas about a year ago and couldn't be happier. He can handle everything you mentioned. Their showroom is at 99 and Kuyhendahl.
Bassmaster
AG
I've heard bad things about Regal too. A neighbor of mine used them, and while they are happy with the end product, the process was awful.
Goose06
AG
How much "free" design work will these companies typically do while you are bidding the project out and asking for design ideas?
Aggie369
AG
All of our designs were free

No commitment, no money, 100% free
The Lurker
AG
Aggie369 said:

Interesting
They were most expensive and had the most awards...what kind of issues did u have?
Entire process after we signed with them was terrible. No communication and lots of delays through the entire process (said it would take 6 weeks, ended up taking 6 months), countless times they said they would show up and didn't. They started to build the wrong design for the fireplace and had to come back and correct it. Went with them because of all the great reviews online but come to find out the reviews were not from customers but from realtors and other people they get to write good review for them. If you leave a bad review they harass you to correct it.
ktownag08
AG
Digging for our pool is starting next week in the same area.

Suggest talking to a lot of different pool contractors. We reached out to probably 8 in total, all with "great reviews". Got widely varying levels of responses. Company we went with is a smaller outfit, but was super responsive, very transparent on their quote, and was fine with a complete last minute overall design change (freeform to geometric).

We also recently had neighbors do pools from various companies. The only one that said they'd pick a different company next time is the one that used Regal. Took 9 months...

TX AG 88
AG
You should do a pool and a pond. The pond would be good for you!
Mas89
AG
Is there drainage in your decking? Will new decking come up to the bottom brick on your house?
rlb28
AG

Quote:

3. Do's and Don'ts?
Insurance guy here... DON'T put a slide or diving board.
Aggie369
AG
Yes will have lots of drainage...everything will be tied into PVC drains that will drain at the front yard.

I would imagine that yes it would come up to the brick or just under
nhamp07
AG
rlb28 said:

Quote:

3. Do's and Don'ts?
When our pool was finished I called our insurance to tell them thinking my premium was about to jump. They didnt care a bit. No diving board though. They did suggest I raise my content to cover the cost of the equipment if there was damage but that was it.
rlb28
AG
nhamp07 said:

rlb28 said:

Quote:

3. Do's and Don'ts?
When our pool was finished I called our insurance to tell them thinking my premium was about to jump. They didnt care a bit. No diving board though. They did suggest I raise my content to cover the cost of the equipment if there was damage but that was it.
yep. we typically raise the liability from $300,000 to $500,000 and the contents on a homeowners policy after a pool is built.
Goose06
AG
So started getting bids now. One question that immediately comes to mind is how negotiable would you say the typical pool builder is? Are they building in 20% margin and ok taking 10%? Any ideas?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.