Real Estate
Sponsored by

First Time Home Buyer

2,025 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Nick221
dsvogel05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I are starting to look at homes and will be first time buyers. I don't want to sink my cash into a down payment, so I'm looking at 80/15/5 or 80/10/10. I see that Navy Federal Credit union offers a 5% down product without PMI, and is advertising 30-yr money at 3% with 1.25 points. What's appealing beyond the minimum down and no PMI is they service the note and don't sell it. Are there other lenders that offer similar terms?

I don't have an account with Navy Fed yet, but can qualify for one through my dad who is a vet.
CraigSmithAllen
Shoot me an email and I'll send you a couple of great lenders to contact.

Craig@smithallen.com
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
There are great lenders here on the boards and I'm happy to get you pointed in the right direction. Just let me know.

Cody@MyRobinsonTeam.com

Cody
Sponsor Message: Need real estate help in North Texas? Click Here to Save $500
Diggity
AG
I wouldn't worry about who services the note. Rate and terms are much more important than which servicer you set up for bill pay.
SteveBott
AG
You are seeing a VA loan and you will not qualify unless you personally served. Dad can't help.
dsvogel05
AG
No, it's not a VA, it's conventional.

https://www.navyfederal.org/loans-cards/mortgage/mortgage-rates/fixed-rate-mortgages.php

SteveBott
AG
That is a pretty good deal if true
dsvogel05
AG
Steve, do you have a similar product you can offer?
SteveBott
AG
Weird. Your link says that rate but when I just google the site I'm getting 4.125.

All lenders can build in PMI to the rate. It's called lump sum or LPMI. The higher rate pays a premium and the lender uses that to pay the PMI. I can do that deal but not at 3.0.

I don't like the lump sum because you are at that rate until sale or refi. Monthly you can get cancelled at some point. Lots of factors to consider though.
jja79
AG
Upfront mortgage insurance (lump sum) and lender paid mortgage insurance (LPMI) are different things. With upfront you pay the premium at time of closing to cover the period until mortgage insurance drops off. The downside is that if you make a significant principal reduction, sell or refinance you've lost that amount. As Steve said LPMI is a rate premium. The benefit is lower cash to close. The downside as he mentioned is the upcharged rate remains until sale or refinance.
Nick221
It's great that I've found this thread as we are also thinking about buying a bigger house and need a mortgage. Thanks for sharing your experience, guys! We heard that NewDay USA is a home loan mortgage lender that offers streamline refinance. I don't know the details yet, but I'm going to call the newday usa customer service to find out them. Does anyone know about this lender? Any experience?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.