Real Estate
Sponsored by

Unoccupied home insurance question

1,223 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Baba Ganoush
schwack schwack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you have a house for sale but you are not living in it full time, what is the best way to insure it?

There is still some furniture in it & we still use it for some overnights when all of us are in town. The insurance agent we've had for YEARS has now said that we'll get a letter in a couple of months denying renewal.

Advice? Affordable options?

Thanks!

edit: It's my Mom's house and she's moved to a smaller condo.
SteveBott
AG
Rent it and just manage in your portfolio? Income for your mom and get insurance that way?
Rexter
Can you show it as a secondary/seasonal dwelling?
Braxton.Sherrill
AG
It not that insurance agents fault. They probably don't have the product.

There is much greater risk due to no one being there (vandalism, small water leak turns into giant issue), which is why most companies do not allow for vacant home.

I'd check with Brian Demarais with smith allen or I believe Farmers offers a vacant home policy.

kingj3
AG
If vacant for more than 60 days most policies will deny a claim.

Anybody should have access to a dwelling fire option for you.

If you'd like me to run some numbers for you, I'd be glad to. jacob@trusted

insurance partners dot com
normaleagle05
AG
Had a similar situation and State Farm gave us an inexpensive rider. But only required it after we moved the furniture out of the house.
RolloInsurance_Morgan
I sent you a lengthy PM with some options that might help you.
schwack schwack
AG
Thanks for all the replies. Looking at several things & will follow up when everything is sorted out.
59 South
AG
Just went through this exact situation. Email Casey.Woodfin@goosehead.com. Very easy process and great price.
Baba Ganoush
AG
I use this group for all my rentals or flips. Very easy to setup and they bill month to month, so you can cancel anytime and not have to worry about getting the prorated portion back. They also accommodate vacant, occupied, etc. I'd give them a holler and see if they can help you.
https://nreig.com/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.