Real Estate
Sponsored by

Landlords

8,175 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by GunRangeGal
evestor1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone have renters already trying to avoid rent for April? I have 5 renters currently. One that thinks that she is getting free rent (nevermind she has not been laid off.)

This will be a big topic over the next few months.
Trucker 96
Between so many people living paycheck to paycheck and others looking for a free ride, this is going to be a major problem
agsalaska
AG
Hasnt happened to me yet but I am expecting it out of one.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
malenurse
AG
Of course they should get free rent. Isn't the government making your loan payments?
case04
AG
They can pay the rent with the $1000 Trump is sending everyone. lol
evestor1
The idea that renters think they owe you anything is absurd. That 1000 will go to booze and smokes ... or a new pit bull.

The only hope that can be put together is an unemployment benefit that goes directly to landlords bank accounts. otherwise the pit bull and smokes market is about to sky rocket.
Martin Q. Blank
Trump just announced suspension of all HUD foreclosures and evictions.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Doesn't say much about landlords mortgage payments but suspending rent is being pitched.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/aoc-progressives-coronavirus-relief
FJB
jmazz
AG
I don't know yet b/c I don't manage my rentals but 90% of my rental portfolio is 'student rentals' (in B/CS) and now that the kids have no reason to physically be here to attend college...I have no idea what's going to happen. I suppose I should check in with in mgmt but my guess is they won't know much until April due date rolls around as March rent should've been paid before this all blew up.
evestor1
The no eviction things is great and all, but is missing a lot of info...

So you have to show job loss from corona to not be evicted? half of this reads - no one can be evicted.

How in the world was anything determined in these areas without addressing the actual burden of the property? These local governments probably cannot do what they think they can do with regards to free rent (considering that is all this will turn into.)
expresswrittenconsent
Seems like a known cost of doing business. Slumlord game ain't for errybody.
Ol Jock 99
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

I'd venture to say that "entire economy shutdown because of global pandemic" isn't really on the typical risk sheet.
Martin Q. Blank

The known cost is dealing with eviction if a person stops paying rent. You don't plan on the government preventing that.
94chem
jmazz said:

I don't know yet b/c I don't manage my rentals but 90% of my rental portfolio is 'student rentals' (in B/CS) and now that the kids have no reason to physically be here to attend college...I have no idea what's going to happen. I suppose I should check in with in mgmt but my guess is they won't know much until April due date rolls around as March rent should've been paid before this all blew up.

When this is over and A&M goes to on-line classes permanently for a significant number of majors, there will be a lot of slumlords hurting in College Station. There is no reason why A&M can't be a e-commuter school for most students.
mazag08
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

The known cost is dealing with eviction if a person stops paying rent. You don't plan on the government preventing that.

And if you built that into your pro forma you would never again find any deal, anywhere, that would even be profitable enough to even get to the point where a sensitivity analysis is needed.

Acts of God happen. You reasonably try to plan for them and time your investments to survive when they do. Acts of an absolutely idiotic response and forced shutdown are never planned for, because they should never happen.
Diggity
AG
The trolls are out for this thread
tford12
AG
IF they are a good tenant, try to work with them (assuming they got laid off or couldn't work).

Maybe suspend/reduce rent for a month or two and then have them pay it back over the rest of the year.
Example: $1,000/month rent. Reduce payment to $500/month for April & May due to Virus/layoffs; Rent rises to $1,145 for the months of June-December.

Your annual income is the same, but you've given them a break in a time of need and show you care.

Now, if your tenant is a bum or is just expecting a handout, then i would be WAY less likely to work with them.
evestor1
"IF"

Everyone is a crook when given the opportunity.

When the market fell early last week I sent a note to my tenants and offered 20% of rent b/c of hard times. One that is a school teacher told me she should not have to pay even if she is still getting paid. This was before eviction bans. Joke is on her - after this I will be evicting her for having three dogs in the unit with no disclosure.

She will not pay just because she thinks she can. I have one other that is fringe...the others will be paying as they are long term tenants that will take the discount and be happy for more years.
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

One that is a school teacher told me she should not have to pay even if she is still getting paid.

Odd. We've only had one tenant contact us so far - also a teacher. Very disappointing & surprising. He will still be paid & admitted that. Said "just thought I'd ask".

I know we can't evict, but do we have to renew leases when up? How I handle those will depend a lot on how the current leases are handled by the tenants. If you still have your job, I think you should continue to pay your bills - I have to. We do have one tenant that I am trying to plan for because I know she will have trouble - both with her job & with her health, but I can't carry everybody.

Aggiemike96
AG
schwack schwack said:

I know we can't evict
Link please. I'd like to read and prepare myself. I only have one tenant, and I don't think it'll be an issue. But, would still like to educate myself.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I have an empty until right now that I am not going to even try to market beyond the sign in the yard. Thankfully it is paid off so no bank note to be paid, just basic utilities.
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

Link please.
Looking for one. I'm basing this off of what I've seen on TV in various press conferences. In a google search, several newspapers & tv stations in Texas seem to be on it though.

Local courts are closed anyway so even if you could file an eviction, it's not happening for a couple of months.

Edit: I think you can start the eviction process, but things are on hold for 60 days? Then there will be a a backlog to wait thru. Just won't be able to make anyone leave for a while.
schwack schwack
AG
Here is the Texas Supreme Court decision:

Quote:

https://www.txcourts.gov/media/1446203/209045.pdf

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200319/texas-supreme-court-halts-most-eviction-proceedings-in-state
No eviction proceedings will be allowed in justice of the peace courts until after April 19, though evictions for imminent threat of physical harm or criminal activity can proceed, according to the late Thursday order from the state's highest civil court.

According to the court's latest order, landlords who have obtained a court-ordered eviction cannot follow through until after April 26, when legally required notices can once again be posted on a rental unit's front door advising tenants about the specific time and date that possession of the property will end.

Eviction matters can still be filed over the next month, but the papers will not be served until after April 19, the order said.

Aggiemike96
AG
Thank you, this is helpful. I hope I don't have an issue...guess we'll see. Rent is due in 11 days.
jja79
AG
I agree with you. This test run at the University of Phoenix model might change college and college towns going forward. One way to control the cost of college is to eliminate housing and related costs.

I was in BCS last weekend and did a good bit of driving around town. I couldn't believe the number of for lease signs in yards.
Buck Compton
AG
jja79 said:

I agree with you. This test run at the University of Phoenix model might change college and college towns going forward. One way to control the cost of college is to eliminate housing and related costs.

I was in BCS last weekend and did a good bit of driving around town. I couldn't believe the number of for lease signs in yards.
You think kids are just going to live with their parents until 22 years old?

Part of being 18-22 is learning to handle all that on your own. You're not eliminating costs of housing.
schwack schwack
AG
Last week we decided to open communication & send out a brief text to our 13 tenants so we'd have an idea of what's coming April 1. Very positive replies so far & results as follows:

1) A tenant we have never been crazy about replied with BS about being out of state and not being able to travel due to lock down of Texas. We informed him that he is still free to travel thru out the country - highways are open. He is not in a lockdown state and prior to this mess, he already told us he'd be moving - just didn't know when so this is not virus related. He wanted to not pay since he's not here - essentially using his apt as free storage. We told him we'd let him out of his lease with no penalty if he's out by April 1. Saw his parents over there yesterday moving stuff out. We'll see. We'll be glad to see him go & we are not going to put that unit on the market until this settles down. We have his deposit if they tear anything up.

2) Our elderly tenant that we suspected would have difficulty, due to a number of issues we knew about prior, sent us a very heartfelt text saying that she'd appreciate anything we could do. When she moved in 3 years ago, she paid 1st, last & deposit upon move-in. We are dividing her last month rent and applying it to April & May - cutting her payment in half for those 2 months. Hopefully she will be in a better situation after that. If not, we'll do the same with her deposit. We have no concern that anything is damaged or that she would ever damage anything out of spite no matter what happens. She's been in there long enough that when she does move out, we'll need to do a mini rehab anyway. Her partial rent covers the expenses on that property. She was beyond grateful and we will do what we can to keep her in her home.

3) Even our teacher that "joked" about not paying or "getting a discount" replied with "can't argue with that".

That's where we stand.

CS78
No issues so far. I won't mind working with people but will not be taken advantage of. The government checks everyone is getting is enough to cover one months rent.

I suspect that if the courts fail to do their job self help evictions will become the norm real quick.
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

I won't mind working with people but will not be taken advantage of.

Agree. The lady we are cutting breaks on is 70+, no children, self employed in a "people to people" type business that's been shut down & she's starting a 2nd round of chemo tomorrow. Lovely lady & a fantastic tenant - never late in 3 years and her house is probably cleaner than ours.
jja79
AG
I think fewer will spend 4 years on campus if online becomes more available. Several of my clients have mentioned bringing their kids home and not renewing leases as an option under consideration.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Quote:

Part of being 18-22 is learning to handle all that on your own. You're not eliminating costs of housing.
The percentage of 18-22 years living with mom & dad is huge, especially if you factor out kids at college.
The Dog Lord
AG
jja79 said:

We will definitely see more online classes after this is over, especially since so many institutions were already moving in that direction, but you'd be surprised at how many students don't want online classes. The change will benefit those that need or want it, but it won't shift as much as people think.
jja79
AG
I was talking to a man where both he and his wife are in O&G. Two kids at A&M. He's thinking of letting them go to CS for fall and football and then online from home in the spring.

If jobs are in jeopardy and income declines the kid's wants take a backseat.
Premium
AG
As a landlord myself, shouldn't landlords be fine since 6 months rent in the bank, per rental, is required to get the loan in the first place?

If it's an organized non-payment where both rent and mortgages get a temporary suspension, it all evens out. If it's unorganized and the rent doesn't get paid anyways, the landlord is in a worse spot.
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

If it's an organized non-payment where both rent and mortgages get a temporary suspension, it all evens out. If it's unorganized and the rent doesn't get paid anyways, the landlord is in a worse spot.
I can understand banks and mortgage companies modifying loans and adding skipped payments to the end of loans. If tenants are allowed to skip rent payments they probably will not make up those payments - my guess is that they will just move out when it's time to make up those payments or when their lease is up. Chances of getting back rent current is basically nil. IMO

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.