Real Estate
Sponsored by

Building a warehouse - GC questions

1,304 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ragoo
AgBank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am in OKC and have a small business in the fleet semi-trailer repair / maintenance space. I am looking to purchase some raw land and build a facility.

I previously (over a year and a half) asked the RE forum for advice on how to make offers for raw land. LINK
Thank you all that responded. I used much of your advice, especially Ribeye-Rare's.

This morning a seller's broker returned the signed contract (2 weeks later) on a viable property, so hopefully we will move forward.

1. What is recommended for diligence? I reached out to a handful of banks and it seems some (including the bank with the best term sheet) are not going to require a Phase 1 environmental assessment. Should I get one done anyway? It is my understanding that this land use to be farm land / residential and was converted to I2 (industrial in OKC) to make it more attractive in a sale. The property is neighbored by an oilfield services business and a plant nursery.

2. I reached out to a few GCs and received 2 preliminary estimates and some momentum from another 2. I typically like to get real bids on things. Is there a good way to get these contractors to sharpen their pencils and provide me with something closer to their actual bid? Should I find an architect / engineer to create sight plans and a building kit mfr to create construction plans for these guys to use so I am comparing apples to apples?

This land is within sight of my current facility (down the street). One GC mentioned that he could provide consulting services if I wasn't interested in a full GC relationship. I do have a list of the subcontractors, but this is my first rodeo.

Thank you in advance.
COSciAG
1. Always good to have an environmental survey so you know what your working with. Just my $.02.

2. Getting real drawings, or at least a floor plan would be a good place to start for leveling the bids. At this point the bids are just based on a cost/sf.
AgBank
AG
COSciAG said:

1. Always good to have an environmental survey so you know what your working with. Just my $.02.

2. Getting real drawings, or at least a floor plan would be a good place to start for leveling the bids. At this point the bids are just based on a cost/sf.
Thank you. Who should I target to get floor plans / site plans? Google architecture firms in OKC? Or would an engineer be better?
COSciAG
Reach out to a few architecture firms. Tell them what you are wanting and ask for pricing for a design. Once you pick on w and work out the design They will involve engineers when the design process gets to that point.

If you end up contracting with an architect they will produce construction documents that can then be sent to GCs for bidding.
nonameag99
I went through this process for our new office at work

I hired an Architect to develop plans, He hired an MEP and Civil/Site/Structural Engineers

I had to hire a surveyor and geotech to do a boundary survey and topo and soil analysis

I took the plans to the city and go them approved for permitting

I then shopped the plans to GC to get a number

The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
Ragoo
AG
You could go to a GC like Fehrs and get a one stop shop.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.