Real Estate
Sponsored by

Legal question I was pondering

2,525 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Diggity
harrierdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How is it that a development can be made for older people, with a restriction of ownership only over a certain age? I would guess it would be highly illegal to do the opposite- no one over a certain age allowed ownership.
SteveBott
AG
Good question. My guess is it's just a byproduct of our discrimination laws. No law protects white men under 50 or children.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Because old people vote.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Seven Costanza
AG
"The Housing for Older Persons Act amends Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1965."

https://web.archive.org/web/20080503074542/http://www.hud.gov/offices/fheo/progdesc/title8.cfm
johnrth
If you were to develop a community for say 40 and younger only, then you'll have to enforce kicking that person out of the community once they reach that age. What if that person isn't financially able to or doesn't want to?
harrierdoc
AG
What brought this up in discussion was some people (we don't know) live in a similar community and their children died, leaving them their grandchildren to raise. That community now, as I understand, has to give them a waiver, and other community members are fussing about it, not wanting to give it.

schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

What brought this up in discussion was some people (we don't know) live in a similar community and their children died, leaving them their grandchildren to raise. That community now, as I understand, has to give them a waiver, and other community members are fussing about it, not wanting to give it.

That's a tough one.
expresswrittenconsent
Kids suck. I dont blame those residents for being pissed.
johnrth
harrierdoc said:

That sucks horribly. If I were the grandparents I'd look at moving if it's possible for a few reasons. 1. The kids will hate it because there are no other kids in the neighborhood to play with. 2. Your neighbor's are going to hate you. 3. Those kids will eventually want to have sleep overs and that's just going to make everyone else in the neighborhood more mad.
schwack schwack
AG
I'd add that if the kids are old enough to understand what's going on, on top of losing their parents they'll probably feel terrible that they are the reason their grandparents have to move. I'd move & make it seem like it was my plan all along & a new adventure - keep the drama down.

Easy to see both sides of this one, but I guess rules are rules? Sad all around.
NoahAg
harrierdoc said:

How is it that a development can be made for older people, with a restriction of ownership only over a certain age? I would guess it would be highly illegal to do the opposite- no one over a certain age allowed ownership.
That's interesting. Never thought of that. I assume that a "no old folks allowed" development has never been tried. I just don't think it would have much market demand. NOW, a trendy "young people only" condo/apartment development in the right area could certainly be appealing.

Personally, my libertarian leaning self believes you should be able to age/sex/race/religion, etc. restrict in any way you want, and let the market do its thing. B/c in this day and age a "whites only" or "no gays allowed" development just wouldn't take off b/c no one would want that stigma attached to where they live. But social norms state that a neighborhood where the elderly can live before they die is completely acceptable.
aggie appraiser
What a pathetic existence to be one who has such a negative reaction to children. I'd hate to be around such people.

I'd probably move into the kid's house and not interrupt their lives anymore than absolutely necessary.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Age discrimination against old people is illegal.

Age discrimination against young people (in the context of housing) is perfectly legal.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
NoahAg
Red Pear Realty said:

Age discrimination against old people is illegal.

Age discrimination against young people (in the context of housing) is perfectly legal.
And that seems wrong to me. Both should be legal.
insulator_king
AG
Here is the story.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/money/business/consumers/2020/01/15/prescott-hoa-wants-kick-orphaned-teen-out-grandparents-house/4469397002/

and another

Grandparents are furious after the HOA said their orphaned teen grandson must leave their home

https://www.live5news.com/2020/01/15/grandparents-are-furious-after-hoa-said-their-orphaned-teen-grandson-must-leave-their-home/
Diggity
AG
you can't selectively enforce your deed restrictions and expect to keep them valid.

It's a crappy situation, but rules are rules.

IrishTxAggie
AG
Diggity said:

you can't selectively enforce your deed restrictions and expect to keep them valid.

It's a crappy situation, but rules are rules.

Quote:

However, the association board is allowed to make exceptions for younger residents "at its discretion," according to a copy of the 2002 rules reviewed by The Arizona Republic.
schwack schwack
AG
Very sad situation.
Diggity
AG
well there ya go. sounds like they're just a-holes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.