Real Estate
Sponsored by

Best way to learn about new builders?

5,358 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jm Iceberg
Dave0192
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am looking into purchasing my first home around the $250k range in the BCS area and many of the builders I have come across seem to be new with very little in the way of feedback/reviews.
A couple example of these builders include Ranger Home Builders and Avonley Homes.

Are there any less than obvious ways to find out some information about the quality of these builders?

agnerd
AG
At one point in my career, I did house inspections for survey related issues. I showed up at a site with a tape measure, clipboard, and my phone to take photos, and never had a single person question who I was or what I was doing. I'd want to see a house after plumbing and electrical but before drywall if I were going to choose a builder. Any houses nearby under construction by the companies you're interested in?
waltonloads11
AG
Are you looking to build on the builders plot in a subdivision? Or on your own land?

If not your own land, I would choose the location then tour/interview each builder to make the best decision.

I built in the Autumn Lakes area recently and could tell you about my experience.

Dave0192
Ideally I was looking to buy one that is already built or near the end of construction. There are a few in the Rudder Pointe and Boulder Creek neighborhoods.
Bill Robbins
AG
Dave,
As stated above, I would definitely recommend walking through a builder's home before the sheetrock goes up. You can better see the quality of their product. I can walk through a few with you if you are interested.
waltonloads11
AG
Boulder Creek is in the "Autumn Lakes" area.

I am not familiar with the builders in Boulder Creek, but heard good things about Ranger who is building in there.

I built in Autumn Ridge which is down the road on Autumn Lakes Drive from Boulder Creek. RNL was in there, who I believe was the best builder I interviewed and walked homes with, but ran out of lots for the floorplan I wanted before I could make the decision. I went with Oakwood Custom Homes in Autumn Ridge. I also went through the "interview/tour" process with Stylecraft in the Edgewater subdivision.

Let me know if you want to talk about Oakwood at all and I can tell you about my experiences good and bad.
AggieAces06
AG
If you aren't in a rush, there will be a parade of homes in April or early May. Lots of builders will have houses open for walkthroughs and introductions.
313-7-12thMan
I can tell you that sometimes builders will rebrand themselves to market in certain price points or developments. This is the case in both examples you cited. Ranger is a joint venture between two long time local builders and Avonley is a subsidiary of another very established successful local builder. I would visit their models in Rudder Pointe and ask lots of specific questions. I know them both very well and you will have a great build experience with either one you choose.
Bob_Ag
AG
I know this thread is a little old now, but when I do appraisal work on new construction certain things stand out to me.

Cleanliness. I know its a construction site, but some builders are adamant about keeping the site somewhat presentable. They have periodic cleanings, they fine for leftover food/beer trash, use tub protectors, put down mulch for a walkway to keep out mud, etc. Builders who do this typically have a higher standard that carries over to their build process.

Framing. Size of joists in the ceiling, spacing, connections, etc. Some of this is mandated but some builders go beyond.

Electrical. You would be shocked at how I've seen light fixture receptacles mounted.

Inspections. Some builders outside of required inspections use third parties for their own inspections.

Then of course you have standard features. Go to the sales office and ask for the standard features list. Of course many builders have different tiers and price points, but compare multiple builders at similar price points and find out what is standard. Gutters, masonry, sod and irrigation, base flooring, base countertops, cabs, and appliances, wall surrounds (tile vs fiberglass), and the list goes on. What does a base house buy you? This is usually how they differentiate price points in a neighborhood as well as lot frontage.

At the end of the day, a lot of big builders have homes for high end, middle, and low end. I would stay away from those focused purely on volume, low end series homes.
Bob_Ag
AG
As an example of my last sentence...Quality builders like Gehan, Wilshire, Highland and others have series of homes that compete at lower price points closer to traditional KB Homes or DR Horton, Centex etc. Price being similar, you go with the more reputable builder every time.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Quote:

Electrical. You would be shocked at how I've seen light fixture receptacles mounted.

Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
OldAg89er
I would advise not building/buying a home in any neighborhood that has Stylecraft as a builder unless the deed restrictions prevent or limit rentals.

I saw where the owner of Stylectaft posted on here that he owned some 90 Stylecraft rent homes.

There are several other posters on here who claim they own 8 to 10 Stylecraft rent homes.

So, a Stylecraft neighborhood is apparently stocked to the brim with non-owner residents who will not take care of their homes like an actual live in home owner would.

For example: minimal landscaping, minimal watering of grass, minimal fence repairs, no upgrading of the interior, and a constant flow of large numbers of temporary residents. Can we say "cars all over the street"?

Result? No bueno for you and your home value.

So, research before you buy. Drive by the neighborhood at different times of the day and different days. Compare one builders houses in the development to the others.

For example: width of driveways, types of front doors, number of different elevations, types and number of choices in finishing materials, quality of finishing, types of windows. And, as noted previously - walk through homes before drywall. Take a ruled level with you. Measure early and often to see if it was just thrown up, or did the builder manage thoughtful construction out of the sub-contractors.

Good luck in finding a home.

dannyag07
AG
There are 2 builders in Rudder Point. Avonley and Ranger.

Avonley is owned and managed by Bryan Reece who owns Reece Homes. Ranger is owned by a combination of Pittman Homes and Magruder Homes. All 3 of these builders have been around a long time and have good reputations. They saw the need for a more affordable home and began their off-shoot companies.

Rudder Point I think has a total of 40 acres to be developed, so there are still several phases to go. Both Avonley and Ranger have model homes in Rudder Point when you first turn right into the main part of the subdivision. I am a Realtor so I have some familiarity, but I have not sold any of those homes so I do not have first hand experience with them.
Jm Iceberg
I'd be interested to hear your experience with Oakwood, if the offer is still open.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.