Real Estate
Sponsored by

Residential Construction Ordinance Question

1,024 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by OldAg89er
Rascal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is there a common or typical metric that most cities use in terms of how far the front, back and sides of the dwelling structure needs to be from the lot lines?

I'm asking in terms of single family homes, not condos or townhomes.

In other words for your typical 1/3 acre lot, ranch style home, can you be as close as 5 feet from your neighbor's home? And can your home sit 20 feet from the front sidewalk or is there a standard distance of say 30 feet it has to fall within?

Am I making sense?
Post removed:
by user
Lone Stranger
You are looking for what are known as the "setback" rules for lots in whatever political subdivision(s) you are interested in building or finding the info for. Example; the last time I checked in College Station it was 7.5 ft from the lot line on the sides of the lot (overhangs might trigger some different language in some places). The building code will outline all the different setback rules from curbs, sidewalks, roads, etc. that apply in that jurisdiction.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
There is not really a common setback across the board from my experience. It's pretty much arbitrary. Also, developers can add deed restrictions to the mix, so if you are looking to build, you need to first lookup the city minimums, then check the deed for possible additional rules.

Story time....I live in Oak Forest in Houston and someone just started building a new home on Ella and Chippendale(?). Poured the foundation, framed it....and got a letter from the HOA telling them that they were building within the 5 foot setback in violation of their deed restriction. Uh oh. It got bulldozed and scraped last week and it's been a circus on the neighborhood forums. But the moral is, just because you get a city permit to build, doesn't mean your build conforms to private deed restrictions.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Rascal
AG
So, setback is the term. Thanks guys!

Been pondering ways to add out and up on a home remodel. Guess I'd need to check the HOA deed restrictions and the city.
Deats99
AG
If it is deed restricted, it is likely on a recent survey......

If you have one of those pesky HOA's with an Architectural Committee, this is where they might come in handy.
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
flown-the-coop
AG
Depending on what you are doing, getting an updated survey may be best route.

Not sure on the improperly placed foundation noted above for a new home why that was not done.

Also, a survey will note any easements you need to be aware of. Building that new patio cover or room addition on top of an easement will not play so well if owner of that easement wants access or when you go to sell the house.
OldAg89er
Depends. Both City ordinance and deed restrictions must be met. Deed restrictions vary by subdivision.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.