Real Estate
Sponsored by

Will I lose a half bath with this remodel?

1,634 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by oldag00
oldag00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
After 10 years in our home, we're considering remodeling our utility room and a half bath to better utilize the space. I'm open to any opinions or better ideas, but I'd really like to know whether the proposed layout still qualifies as a half bath for an appraisers report. TIA

https://imgur.com/gallery/HoPuTrv
Scale: 1 Square = 6"
The Dog Lord
AG
Looks like the biggest change to the bath is removing the sink (but adding one to the laundry area, yes?

I believe it needs the sink to be considered a half bath.

agdaddy04
AG
Are you dead set on moving to a stacked washer/dryer? That seems a little odd for such a big space.
oldag00
AG
Yes, that is correct. We'll also rework all the cabinets to create better storage options.
oldag00
AG
Stacked washer/dryer would be a full size set. We've had this setup before In a previous home and liked it.

The current layout actually feels small. Moving the bathroom door over creates usable space along the exterior wall for a bench with storage of daily kid stuff (backpack, shoes, etc).
aggie appraiser
I'd flip the sink and linen closet. To answer the question, maybe.
oldag00
AG
18" deep (from the exterior wall towards the toilet) is all I can create in the spot for the linen closet or sink within the toilet closet. There's likely a small pedestal sink that would fit but not a nice sized utility sink.
oldag00
AG
Here's a revised layout option.

We'd put a countertop over the washer/dryer with cabinets above...like this.

And have built in storage and large utility sink in the half bath.

Our main goals are (1 additional tall storage space, 2) additional countertop space, and 3) retain a large utility sink.

Thoughts?
dubi
AG
oldag00 said:

Yes, that is correct. We'll also rework all the cabinets to create better storage options.
What "cabinets"?

All I see is the linen closet which appears to be the same size before and after.

T Boon Pickens
Imho. If you would have gone with the original plan for remodel, and placed the sink outside of the closet/space containing the toilette, the functionality of the half bath is still there.

Would it be nice to have a sink inside the room with the toilette so you can wash your hands before you touch the door? Of course, however the space is still functional as a half bath. Many homes have the toilet inside of a closet with the bathroom vanity/counter just outside, and you're plan isn't any different.

Sometimes in the world of appraisal and lending we can get hung up on a concept and miss the big picture. For example, who has ever looked into a bedroom and said "it doesnt have a closet I cant sleep here", but even if it isn't called a bedroom in the report, it is still included in the overall GLA so the difference in value if any would be indiscernible.

Any good appraisal, and any good lender/loan officer wants to make sure the deal is fair to all parties concerned, and wont hit you much if at all for the location of a wash basin.
oldag00
AG
Linen "closet" is a poor description. Linen "cabinet" is more accurate. This is a look at the cabinet that currently exists in the bathroom.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.