Real Estate
Sponsored by

Anyone built with Highland Homes, Coventry, or Britton Homes?

15,174 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by mAgnoliAg
ChoppinDs40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If so, thoughts?
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
Highland in DFW is one of my favorites to deal with. Probably in my top 2. Good product, they hire good people, and the company has a reputation for doing the right thing if there are any hiccups. I've worked with Britton as well and I'd say they are fine but not quite at the same level. I've not worked with Coventry.
Sponsor Message: Need real estate help in North Texas? Click Here to Save $500
Absolute
AG
Of those three, as a home inspector in dfw, Highland is definitely the best. For what it's worth, highland would be my first choice if I were buying new construction and they were an option.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Absolute said:

Of those three, as a home inspector in dfw, Highland is definitely the best. For what it's worth, highland would be my first choice if I were buying new construction and they were an option.

Any specifics on the three?

Really stuck between Britton and highland.
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
I'm assuming you are working with an agent, but if you are not I'd love to help. We have some contacts in the industry and we consistently get better deals for our clients because of it. It's also a huge plus to have someone representing YOU regardless of which builder you choose. Doesn't cost you anything, and with the right agent, actually will save you $$$. Plus, I do an Aggie Rebate, but that's just icing on the cake.

Gig'em!

Cody

DannyDuberstein
AG
I have a former co-worker (15+ years) who is a good friend that has been the VP of Finance/Accounting at Highland for the past 5 years. Just thru him, heard a lot of stories about the focus on quality of people and commitment to doing things the right way in a business where cutting corners and slopping around to save a buck can be very tempting. Family owned business, which when run by a family with the right commitment to their reputation, can be helpful in avoiding and resolving issues
Garrelli 5000
AG
We recently built a Huntington home in Frisco, which is part of the Highland family. We're home junkies and love to look at different builders during the construction process.

When we asked our Aggie inspector for his opinion as he wrapped up our inspection, he said "Highland is the best builder in the state. I bought a Highland based on my inspections."

They really have a fantastic product.
Absolute
AG
A consistent focus on customer service is probably the biggest thing. The process of building can still be flawed and problems do come up, but highland just seems to be the best as far as dealing with them in the best way possible. This is across the board over 16 years of Inspections all over the metroplex.

No builder or house is going to be perfect, so customer service is really important. Highland seems to be one of the most cs focused builders. It is obviously a "core value" to them. There are other good builders, but most are more hit and miss with their cs and quality.

I have inspected house of the other two you listed, but not near as many. So I don't have a real good feel for them.
ChoppinDs40
AG
HomeFinderCody said:

I'm assuming you are working with an agent, but if you are not I'd love to help. We have some contacts in the industry and we consistently get better deals for our clients because of it. It's also a huge plus to have someone representing YOU regardless of which builder you choose. Doesn't cost you anything, and with the right agent, actually will save you $$$. Plus, I do an Aggie Rebate, but that's just icing on the cake.

Gig'em!

Cody

Interested to hear some info. They seem to be pricier than the other two, FWIW.

Would also be interested to hear what you think we can get for our current residence.
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
AggieFanatic09 said:

HomeFinderCody said:

Gig'em!

Cody

Interested to hear some info. They seem to be pricier than the other two, FWIW.

Would also be interested to hear what you think we can get for our current residence.

Give me a call at 972.365.0432 or email me at Cody@MyRobinsonTeam.com and we can talk, I can give you a market analysis on your current home, etc.

I've helped many Ags on these boards over the past 10+ years as a sponsor and I work to treat all my clients like gold.
Bob_Ag
AG
Nothing wrong with Highland, but I wouldn't hesitate to use Coventry. MHI, their parent company who also owns Wilshire and Plantation Homes, is a Texas based builder who has been around for awhile with a good reputation in the industry.

Here in the Austin market, I would say Coventry is typically at a higher price point than Highland, but may be different in the metroplex. I just built in a neighborhood and had to choose between Highland, Wilshire, and MI Homes. We picked Wilshire mainly due to lots available, but would have no issue picking Highland.
Ragoo
AG
We built a plantation home and enjoyed the experience with MHI.
East Dallas Ag
AG
I've heard numerous horror stories about trying to get Britton to respond to warranty issues, I would avoid them at all costs, even though their floor plans and price points can be pretty attractive.
flown-the-coop
AG
East Dallas Ag said:

I've heard numerous horror stories about trying to get Britton to respond to warranty issues, I would avoid them at all costs, even though their floor plans and price points can be pretty attractive.
Britton is owned by Perry Homes. If you are not getting the response, escalate to corporate.

Regarding Highland, the have 4-5 different names they build under, all serving different price points with Highland being the core brand, Horizon at the entry level, then up to Huntington and then I think a semi-custom (Sanderson?).

We (small DFW builder) shared the same building as Highland for a number of years. We always welcomed an opportunity to partner and they are good folks, good quality and a solid business reputation - do not see them going away nor being acquired. Many of the other mid-range builders were acquired or could easily go away if there is a downturn.

All that being said, I would pay a slight premium for a Highland home vs others.
Mmetag10
AG
Loved our highland home. Would build with them again no question.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Will echo what everyone has said (positively) about Highland.
ThreatLevel: Midnight
AG
Highland.
Thanks & Gig 'Em
ChoppinDs40
AG
any info on their ability to "alter" layouts? like... "can we work a half bath in here to be a pool bath later on?"

or "can we put sliding doors here?" or "can we add a 5' extension to the garage" "can we extend the patio further out?"

mAgnoliAg
AG
My company deals with highland a lot and let me just say in most cases they go way too far to fix things. They do things no other company would do. If you have any problems within 10 years they will go above and well beyond to fix it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.