Real Estate
Sponsored by

Help needed: how are these people associating my name with this house?

3,010 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by T Boon Pickens
AggieDarlin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My grandmother passed away two months ago. She willed her home and possessions to me, but nothing has been formally transferred yet as the probate hearing is set in the near future.

I keep getting texts from different numbers with offers to buy her house, but calling me the owner. They're using MY name even though there is nothing associating me with the house. The deed is not yet in my name.

Whether these are bots or individuals scoping out prospects, how did they get my name and number, and how did they tie me to the house?

I haven't answered a single one and don't plan to.
Post removed:
by user
AggieDarlin
AG
Thank you, that had been my initial impression, but I didn't think that much info would have been accessible. I considered the possibility of family members trying to meddle since the house was messed with last month.
DFWag84
they also search obituaries, these are scum of the scum
p_bubel
They're crazy good at getting the info they need, early.
Absolute
AG
It is amazing the amount of informabce and associations you can find on yourself for free on the internet. Was looking for some reason recently when I got something weird. Hate even thinking about what they can get if they actually pay for a service or really know what they are doing.
Seven Costanza
AG
Sorry to derail, but how much of a pain is the inventory process? Do you really have to list out everything they own ("one decorative wooden rooster knick-knack, one plastic hummingbird feeder, one half bottle of hummingbird nectar goo, etc.")?
dubi
AG
I think you only list material items.

Household crap of no value does not count.
malenurse
AG
p_bubel said:

They're crazy good at getting the info they need, early.
You should spend some time on the Outdoors Board. Those guys are the best.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
AndesAg92
AG
Martin Q. Blank
I'll buy the house cash.
T Boon Pickens
All of that information can SOMETIMES be found on the County Tax Assessors Website.

Most assessors sites will have: any sales, transfers, deeds, wills, death certificates recorded under the Sales and Conveyance information up to an infinite or a defined period of time (such ad 3 years back).

For a veeeeeery small fee you can open those documents and view them.

That's just 1 tool in their arsenal.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.