Real Estate
Sponsored by

Nervous about combining a bathroom and a closet-????

2,449 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dubi
AgBank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone know much about design?

Without going into too much detail, I live in a 100 year old house that only has 1 bathroom for about 2600 sq ft. After much deliberation the wife and I have decided to add a new bathroom to the master bedroom. The picture below is the best design that the wife and I can come up with so far.

Notes:
1. The box off to the right is the current closet, we will remove the wall
2. The idea is that you walk in and hopefully see a nice vanity and island and the closets aren't too messy.

Concerns:
1. I don't love the idea of a mixed closet bathroom.
2. I don't love the idea of walking into the bathroom / closet prior to get to the bedroom, but we don't have the sq ft to add a hallway.

Questions:
1. Hanging clothes, except for staged hanging closes on Pinterest, seem messy. Is there something that I can do to make this room seem less messy?
2. Do you have any other suggestions?
aggie appraiser
I hate the idea, but you could do some built in armoire cabinetry with doors that close so it doesn't seem like a closet.
Diggity
AG
That remodel might actually reduce the value of the property so definitely only do it if you like it and plan on living there for a while
Grits
AG
If the only way to access the bedroom is through the bathroom, an appraiser may not consider it conforming which could negatively affect the value by subtracting a bedroom from the room count, it would still be given consideration in the opinion of value because it will count/add towards your Gross Living Area.. Also the bedroom needs a closet to be considered conforming, so make sure there is closet space within the master bedroom.

I completely agree though, that for 2600sf of living space there is some functional obsolescence in only having 1 bathroom.

The additional bathroom would definitely help support a value conclusion on the upper end of some comparable sales, but if you lose a bedroom that could hurt the value a bit.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Add a hallway. Lose the island. Shift the wall between the bedroom and bathroom to the right (losing the island will allow room for this), put a closet with access from the bedroom side along the wall between the bedroom and bathroom.
MAS444
AG
Yeah the island is a total waste of space given your limitations. I'd do whatever I needed to do to get a hallway in there, including only one vanity, slightly smaller shower, etc...
dubi
AG
Will you post a layout of how it is now?

I'll defer comments for now.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
My thoughts:
1. You need a hallway. You don't enter bedrooms through the bathroom. It is the other way. You enter the master bathroom from the master bedroom.

2. Your comments on messy clothes confuses to me. Closet doors are great. I would use either bi-fold or a pair of doors. You can get a double set of doors in 4 or 5 ft width easily.

3. I actually prefer to have the master closet off the bathroom. I just built a house and from the master bedroom is a very small hallway. Turn right into the closet or go straight into the bathroom. This allows me to shut the doors to the bath/closet and get ready.
p_bubel
Just spitballing here with no regards to scale or measurements because I still need another cup of coffee.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hMw332][/url]2019-11-18_10-17-05 by Paul Bubel, on Flickr

For a house that size I would assume another bathroom is critical in your market area. But you know what they say about assumptions.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
p-bubel beat me to it, but here is a quick back of the napkin idea. The measurements should work based on your drawing. It would be great to understand how this fits into the rest of the house.

As a side note, the option above mine has a very nice flow. The door to the bathroom makes more sense on that wall. I was trying to make the bath look bigger so the door across from the vanity will help with that.
dubi
AG
I drew the design with a pocket door. If you don't want that, then flip the vanity and storage areas and you will also need to rotate shower door/opening to the middle of the room.

Plus i'd flip the shower door the other way. My eraser didn't work on the 50 cent mechanical pencil.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.