Real Estate
Sponsored by

Anything we can to prevent neighbor's new construction from flooding us?

3,822 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by flown-the-coop
MAS444
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Neighbor across the street floods regularly. His property is much lower than ours and is also right next to City of Houston drainage easements. Basically, he's low and flood water drains right into and around his property. Thankfully, our house has never flooded.

Someone recently bought this property and demo'd the existing house to prepare for new construction. Obviously, they need to build the property up to prevent it from flooding in the future. My question is what, if anything, can be done to make sure the new construction doesn't send that flood water back our way? I'm afraid if they build the whole lot up higher than ours, that's what would happen. Does the city of Houston account for this at all in their engineering/permitting/etc.? I'd rather try to deal with it now, if possible, than after it's all done and we flood.

Any thoughts/ideas?
Martin Q. Blank
https://texags.com/forums/61/topics/2649570
MAS444
AG
Thanks for the link...that's very helpful. So does anyone know the best way to get in touch with the city/inspector/powers that be?
Diggity
AG
The city will require the builder have detailed engineering reports showing the water movement through the property in the case of flooding. They can't just do whatever they please.
MAS444
AG
I understand that's the way it's supposed to work. I'm just a little scared to assume it's going to be done right... For example...amazingly to me, the city also permitted new homes (on slab and not built up at all) a few lots down to be built on top of known City of Houston drainage easements. They flood every time there's a heavy rain. I don't understand how they could have ever been permitted there...but they were. I just want to do everything I can to make sure it's done right at the outset.
Diggity
AG
I get what you're saying.

If you see something that doesn't look right, you can file a complaint, but I don't know if they're going to give you much input into project otherwise.
evestor1
Are you in a flood zone? 500? 100? (sorry if you stated it. i didnt see this info)

COH is vigilant about net zero dirt added to flood plains. If they are in a flood zone then start calling COH the second a truck shows up with dirt.

Most likely they were required to complete a flood eval (can't remember the name of the documentation) that will require it to be built up, but using a system under the house that in theory will not push the water elsewhere.
Furlock Bones
AG
MAS444 said:

I understand that's the way it's supposed to work. I'm just a little scared to assume it's going to be done right... For example...amazingly to me, the city also permitted new homes (on slab and not built up at all) a few lots down to be built on top of known City of Houston drainage easements. They flood every time there's a heavy rain. I don't understand how they could have ever been permitted there...but they were. I just want to do everything I can to make sure it's done right at the outset.
COH grandfathered a lot stuff from having to comply with the new Harvey laws.
MAS444
AG
Not in flood zone.

Furlock - the construction I'm talking about was prior to Harvey
Furlock Bones
AG
MAS444 said:

Not in flood zone.

Furlock - the construction I'm talking about was prior to Harvey
aw, i misread. i thought you were saying the city was allowing new builds that weren't at the proper elevation.
cjsag94
AG
I don't think a single property building up will suddenly make you flood. I'm no engineer, but that would imply it was creating a dam blocking the sole water flow path from your property, high enough to flood you before it moves on past their now elevated property.
MAS444
AG
Yeah I think you're probably right. I'm just a little paranoid about it as the water got too close for comfort in Harvey. I would just rather err on the side of caution.
cjsag94
AG
My thought is you'd have to show that construction would now cause you to flood if you were to stop the new builder from elevating their pad to prevent their own flooding. Then COH or county would presumably require they prevent that from happening.
Know1
AG
Completely understandable that you might be concerned, post Harvey everyone is a little nervous about flooding. I tend to agree with cjs..if there isn't a blockage then it would seem the displacement wouldn't be significant enough to cause a huge problem.

That being said, to get a definitive answer you'd probably need to get (and pay for) an independent analysis done and I have no idea if the journey would be worth the fare. I personally wouldn't trust a city analysis. Generally speaking, anybody worth their salt doesn't stick around very long.
Diggity
AG
yeah, I just assumed this was in the 100 year. Don't listen to anything I said.
Martin Q. Blank
cjsag94 said:

My thought is you'd have to show that construction would now cause you to flood if you were to stop the new builder from elevating their pad to prevent their own flooding. Then COH or county would presumably require they prevent that from happening.
I don't think he has to show that he'll now flood. THEY have to show that their construction does not change the natural flow of water. If they want to build up, they need to also construction some sort of swale or drainage system to move the water to the right of way and not to the neighboring properties.
iisanaggie
AG
Stay on top of it. I would take videos and pictures of your yard during different times of rain. Monitor if it begins to change as they work on the property. My in laws had someone behind them bring in dirt to build up the property. In-laws ended up having to install two pumps to alleviate flooding their yard, garage and enclosed patio. You would be surprised how easy it is to completely alter the flow of water and mess up other properties

We added on a new master suite in our backyard a few years ago. We did everything we could to plan for drainage, but it still flooded the yard up onto the patio during heavy rains. Thankfully, it never got in the house. We put in additional drainage out to the street a few years ago. No problems now.
flown-the-coop
AG
City of Houston now requires any new construction in 100 or 500 year to be 2 feet above 500 year. As stated above, this cannot be achieved with fill. City now prohibits any dirt to be removed or brought on to property - so most all new construction in the City will either be slab on grade with pony walls up to finished floor height or house will be on pilings.

Regardless of above and as others have referenced, you cannot effect drainage that cause water from your property to go on to another's property. They will have to have a drainage plan as part of their permitting package, which you should be able to get a copy of from the City once they have approval.

And good luck getting any sort of response from City of Houston planning and permitting department. You would be better off getting to know your city councilperson if you have remaining concern.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.