Real Estate
Sponsored by

Hurricane coverage insurance rates

1,740 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PeekingDuck
ForeverAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How far outside of Houston do you have to be to not have the higher home insurance cost for hurricanes. I priced insurance in New Braunfels for a 500K home and it was around 1K a year. Also priced a tow home in Houston valued around 200K but that was closer to 2K a year for home insurance.

Looking around the Woodlands area now.
Pepper Brooks
AG
I assume you're talking about flood? Wind coverage exists on most HO policy forms. Both wind/flood rates vary based on a number of factors so I wouldn't look at it as a "proximity to Houston" issue.

For instance, rates in DFW(NTX in general) have been going up over the last few years due to how many hail storms we're seeing. Flood rates vary depending on if you're in a flood plain or not.
TXTransplant
Are you in the Woodlands/Harris Co? That's where I am, and I don't specifically have hurricane coverage. However, my deductible for wind and hail is 2% instead of the standard 1%. Montgomery Co rates should be a little lower (or so I've heard).

I pay about $2k for a policy on a home valued around $300k (I can't remember the exact amount).

I also have a flood policy for $450. The flooding from Harvey came nowhere near my house (although, houses in my hood did flood), so I would probably be safe to cancel it. Depending on where you are, you may or may not want a flood policy.
rlb28
AG

Quote:

Both wind/flood rates vary based on a number of factors so I wouldn't look at it as a "proximity to Houston" issue.
Agree. We recently quoted someone a house in Tomball ($360,000) and the home/wind policy was $1,800.

I live 10 minutes from the Gulf and my flood policy is $450. There are so many variables, you just need to keep getting quotes.
case04
AG
ForeverAg said:

How far outside of Houston do you have to be to not have the higher home insurance cost for hurricanes. I priced insurance in New Braunfels for a 500K home and it was around 1K a year. Also priced a tow home in Houston valued around 200K but that was closer to 2K a year for home insurance.

Looking around the Woodlands area now.
If you are looking in The Woodlands you will get better pricing than most of Houston due to the distance from the coast. Other factors will include age of the dwelling, roof, your credit and what the replacement cost of the house will be. I've helped many people in the Houston are and would love to answer any questions for you. Email is casey.woodfin@goosehead.com.
PeekingDuck
AG
My home in the Woodlands was much cheaper to insure than the one I left in Katy. I don't know where the cutoff is, but I'm guessing anything south or near I-10 is disproportionately expensive. I have a 1% deductible.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.