Real Estate
Sponsored by

Renting out room in your own house

2,023 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by IrishTxAggie
viper14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

A very close friend of mine wants to live in my house by renting out a room - how do I go about this in terms of a lease to him? I want to do this in writing, and he does too. This is my primary residence.
Martin Q. Blank
Like how to handle socks on door knobs and such?
JosephMarcus
viper14 said:

A very close friend of mine wants to live in my house by renting out a room - how do I go about this in terms of a lease to him? I want to do this in writing, and he does too. This is my primary residence.
def put some type of clause about him not banging hooks in your house when your kids are home.
NoahAg
Sounds like a situation where he will become a very close soon-to-be-former friend.
viper14
AG
This went south very quickly, dang you people have jokes!
No worries
BrianDemarais
AG
This looks like it might work for you- https://eforms.com/rental/tx/texas-sublease-agreement-form/
viper14
AG
Thank you!
JB
AG
I did the same thing when I bought my first place a few years out of college. Rented a room to good friend. I found a similar sub lease agreement online, we filled it out and signed it. Just good to have the documentation. Worked out well for both of us, but we were college roommates prior, so we knew what to expect etc.
Aggie Rick
AG
Be clear you will not accept man-love from him in lieu of rent. Unless you will.
@Aggie_Rick
JosephMarcus
Aggie Rick said:

Be clear you will not accept man-love from him in lieu of rent. Unless you will.
Shooter McGavin
AG
I rented a room to a friend right out of college, it was ok until his girlfriend wanted to stay over every weekend. F that.

My son did it recently. Worked really well for him, two different roommates. Those guys paid him a bunch of money over a 2-3 year period.

Too bad he can't charge his new wife rent.
IrishTxAggie
AG
He's probably getting paid in some form or fashion.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.