Real Estate
Sponsored by

Thinking of a log cabin rental (x-outdoors)

1,477 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by FrontPorchAg
FrontPorchAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So, I just found out my property is allotted by county code to have a "guest house" up to 1,000sqf. I'm thinking about putting on a rental unit for extra income.

• I have a good potential build site about 250ft from electricity and water.
  • Location is western wyoming
  • It would be a long term rental

I was thinking about putting in a prefabbed log cabin. I was wondering if anyone here had advice, thoughts or warnings? Any thoughts on prefabbed versus kit homes? Does anyone have experience with either?

Thanks
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
SteveBott
AG
My first question is what is the attraction of guests wanting to rent it? Nearby attractions? The property itself? Football weekends? Family rental?

From the demand you can determine a cost to get a decent ROI. And if it's worth it.

https://www.facebook.com/Sawpilot/videos/2452120795077733/?t=0
FrontPorchAg
SteveBott said:

My first question is what is the attraction of guests wanting to rent it? Nearby attractions? The property itself? Football weekends? Family rental?

From the demand you can determine a cost to get a decent ROI. And if it's worth it.

It will be long term. The going rate in the area is a $1,000 a room a month.

I know it's a good investment. Just curious if anyone has had experience with these types of builds.
SteveBott
AG
Can you get long term and pay 800 total expenses a month because that's your budget.

800 - 150 taxes and insurance is a 650 mortgage.

80000 cost 15 year note 4%, about 600 a month. Can you build with 80k in loan money plus your money? Will they pay 1000 for what you build?
FrontPorchAg
Yes. Going rate is $1,000 to 1,200 per bedroom/month. So we are looking at a 2 bedroom 1 bath. (Potentially a 3:2).

No 2 bedroom in the area is renting for less than $2,000 a month.
Diggity
AG
3/2 under 1,000 sqft? sounds awful
FrontPorchAg
Diggity said:

3/2 under 1,000 sqft? sounds awful

To ski bums, it's fine.
Diggity
AG
I would love to see that plan
AggieGunslinger
AG
You know your market better than any of us, but I will say that my rental with 1 bath is harder to rent than the others, even though it is in a better school district, has a bit more of an updated interior and is on a much bigger lot.

250' is a decent run for the utilities, I would price that out before I went to far.
NoahAg
Sounds cool. I don't have much to add. Is your property in an area where it could be a good vacation rental?
FrontPorchAg
NoahAg said:

Sounds cool. I don't have much to add. Is your property in an area where it could be a good vacation rental?
its between jackson and Hoback but it can't be rented short term.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.