Real Estate
Sponsored by

Moving a house

2,365 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by RethinkTheWeekend
MoreCushing4thePushing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking at purchasing a historical building and relocating it. Anyone have experience with this? It's 5000 sq ft, about 70' in length, 37' in width, and about 28' high. Trying to move it about 22 miles down the road. It'll pass thru Plantersville and Navasota. I have no idea what the cost will be to get power lines moved, and I think a couple of traffic lights.
expresswrittenconsent
Wow. That seems awesome, and insane. This must be a pretty cool building. Good luck!
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
The really crazy thing is, we have been working with an architect for about a year and a half on a custom home. It's all paper at this point, but we've definitely shelled out some cash.
The building we are looking at is the oldest building in Grimes County. It was built in 1861, and used to be an old mercantile store next to the trains tracks. We think we can turn it into something pretty awesome.
OnlyForNow
AG
Is it in plantersville?

You're gonna have to cut it up and move it then reassemble.

Good luck, DO NOT do it on a game day weekend.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Yeah. It's in Plantersville. Right by the train track.
jokershady
AG
You're gonna have to post a few pics of the process...sounds crazy awesome!
OnlyForNow
AG
I'm not sure who the mayor of Montgomery is now, but I think a former mayor moved an old house one time.

Let me ask.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Bids are starting to come in to move it. A couple of movers said they won't have to cut it, but power lines will need to be raised, and a couple traffic lights removed. There is an option to cut it horizontally and reduce height, but pricing estimates are about the same to just leave it whole
RethinkTheWeekend
AG
Much easier if you can leave it intact. Live in a 1870's home that was disassembled and put back together and have moved some older homes. If they have to cut the roof or cut it in half its much harder to ever get them perfect again. If its from late 1800's and has long leaf pine floors then for sure don't cut it
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.