Real Estate
Sponsored by

Lakefront property options

6,186 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 4xAgs
Burn-It
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What are TA rec's for best lakefront living in TX and other southern states in the US? Looking for clean lakefront property that we might either build new or renovate existing. Any websites or SME's that we should use in our search would be appreciated too.
AKA 13-0
WC94
AG
Landsoftexas.com

Medina Lake northwest of San Antonio is a little gem. 3 acres, 100 feet of water front for about 300K bare, 500K with house.
schwack schwack
AG
lakehouse.com ?
Burn-It
AG
WC94 said:

Landsoftexas.com

Medina Lake northwest of San Antonio is a little gem. 3 acres, 100 feet of water front for about 300K bare, 500K with house.

Is Medina the lake that almost dried up about 10 years ago from drought?
AKA 13-0
schwack schwack
AG
East Tx has a bunch of spring fed lakes. Most of them are smaller though. Depends on what you want. We opted for a smaller, private, quiet lake - great for fishing & no skiing, jet skis, etc. allowed.

During the big droughts, our level goes down somewhat but we can always get in & out of the boat house.

Also - how much property do you want? Most of these lakes have nice sized lots, but usually no acreage.
texag84
AG
Lake LBJ - constant level. Gets busy when Travis is low, but a great place to be.
CS78
What are your geographic requirements? Your need to be near things will drastically affect what you get for your money. I personally love Toledo Bend for a retreat but not sure Id want to be there full time. Big enough that you'll never see the whole thing but not much around beside the lake.
p_bubel
Burn-It said:

WC94 said:

Landsoftexas.com

Yes. It is an irrigation lake. It has an interesting history.

It also has a small drainage area. It can be a fickle lake.

Personally I like Buchanan, Inks and Possum Kingdom.
Oneof12
AG
Lake LBJ on the upper Colorado is about as good as it gets in my opinion. Lots of Undeveloped land on the north/west side, several new food spots with live music (Wakepoint, Boat Town Burger Bar), lots of wineries, State Parks, Kingsland is growing and Marble Falls is always great.

There is a really great house coming available soon on CR 119 A. Really neat low traffic area.
Ragoo
AG
Burn-It said:

WC94 said:

Landsoftexas.com

yes, Medina fluctuates pretty bad. Beautiful water though. Much like canyon but can have docks.
WC94
AG
Medina is full now and the water is almost crystal clear. The drought killed it, worst I'd seen in 30+ years. Didn't help they had the flood gates open year round. I think the owners got together and forced a compromise.
Burn-It
AG
Location is important. Prefer waterfront to be on east side of the lot/house.

Want decent grocery options within 20 minutes.

Lakefront property, not interested in a canal lot that leads to the lake.

AKA 13-0
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

Prefer waterfront to be on east side of the lot/house.

Great preference. We didn't think of that when we were looking & were lucky that we bought on the west side facing east. We have a large front porch that blocks the direct morning sun & the back of our house is built into a hill, so no west facing windows. Makes a big difference.

We bought and completely renovated a house 3 doors down. Right now it's a guest house but....
CaptnCarl
AG
You must have never seen a great sunset over the lake. Best part of our place is the sunset.
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

You must have never seen a great sunset over the lake. Best part of our place is the sunset.

I get it, but we see beautiful sun rises and our house/yard is much cooler in the summer than those across the lake with afternoon sun blasting in. That said, lake living facing any direction is pretty incredible!
ratfacemcdougal
Oneof12 said:

Lake LBJ on the upper Colorado is about as good as it gets in my opinion. Lots of Undeveloped land on the north/west side, several new food spots with live music (Wakepoint, Boat Town Burger Bar), lots of wineries, State Parks, Kingsland is growing and Marble Falls is always great.

There is a really great house coming available soon on CR 119 A. Really neat low traffic area.
More details please.
Build It
AG
Unless you are a fisherman, then the lake kind of sucks.
Ragoo
AG
I may have missed it, what lake are y'all on? I have two lakes in mind for the future. Lake Granbury if I ever am able to take a job up in Fort Worth. Lake Buchanan if I make it to retirement.
Build It
AG
I was referring to LBJ. The fishing sucks there. Great for wake boarding if you are up for that in your old age. Buchanan has great fishing. I've been looking for the perfect lot there or Limestone or Camp Creek. Because I like to drink beer and catch bass and crappie, my wife refuses to go into east Texas with me to Toledo Bend.

Waiting on the perfect lot because I've got a little time. 1 in college and another heading their next year. I'd by the right lot now and build in 2-3 years when I get #1 graduated. Perfect lot for us is south or east facing on 2 or more acres.
Ragoo
AG
Oh, I read your post totally wrong.

I myself prefer a more watersports friendly piece of water. Fishing is secondary, and maybe tertiary.

I want to cruise the lake, swim, ski, surf, tube, etc. then enjoy the fading sunlight with some cold ones and the grill going.
cdw1382
Lake Cherokee
water turkey
I hear there are good deals on Lake Dunlap right now
Martin Cash
AG
water turkey said:

McQueeney also.
Good Bull Jones 17
AG
Martin Cash said:

water turkey said:

McQueeney also.

Definitely still wouldn't buy there, but they were all set to drain the lakes, and then a court order put it on hold while a 3 person panels gets a year to decide the future of the lakes.

https://smcorridornews.com/gbra-property-owners-reach-deal-on-lake-draining-plan/
Aggie09Derek
AG
Our family will be selling a lakefront property on Toledo Bend pretty soon; huge lot right next to a boat launch on a private cove.

House needs some remodeling for sure.
4xAgs
AG
Lake Limestone......but keep it a secret. Very quiet, affordable and only an hour from College Station.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.