Real Estate
Sponsored by

Home inspection questions - water heater vent pipe type

2,544 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by agracer
skelso
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Need input from the gurus here...

Selling house in BCS. Home inspector comes out and does his thing. Returns laundry list of "deficiencies" that aren't really deficient:

flood lights inop - inspection mid afternoon, lights have dusk to dawn sensors.

Sprinkler system inop - inspector didnt know how to operate it.

Replace ALL outlets in Garage with GFCI outlets - they are all on GFCI breakers

Replace ALL kitchen outlets with GFCI - all non GFCI outlets are on load side of the existing GFCI outlet.

I could go on and on but that should be enough to give you an understanding of what I am dealing with...

Here's one I cant understand and of course his office wont return calls, etc I suspect because I am the seller... ie. Not their client...

Inspector stated natural gas water heater vent pipe must be changed from double wall to single wall. Buyer is insisting it be changed due to report. Even if I wanted to change it, I dont have the clearance for single wall where it penetrates ceiling and roof.

Anyone have any insight as to why he would be suggesting this change?
Bob_Ag
AG
Where is water heater located and what is the existing setup?

I'm not a licensed inspector or a guru in regards to this, but I thought you had to have double wall pipe in unconditioned spaces (attic, garage). It seems backwards to me he would be asking you to go from double wall pipe to single wall, but it depends on the setup.
CS78
Try your best not to get hung up on who is right and try to focus on what you are or aren't willing to do to get closed. If you are willing, offer the buyer $300-$400 to fix it to their liking after closing. It's BS but the best way to address things.
SteveBott
AG
Beat me to it. Offer a seller concession
skelso
AG
Why would you offer a concession to the seller for something that meets code?

As for the setup question, water heater in garage on elevated pedestal. Double wall from heater all the way to termination. 24" straight rise before first offset.
SteveBott
AG
You offer to get the deal done. It will cost more to start over and find a new buyer
JP76
Who is the inspector who is saying it needs to be changed from double wall to single wall on the vent pipe ? Or do you mean vice versa?

skelso
AG
Nope, you read it right. Has all double wall now. His report states it is unsafe and doesn't meet code. Says it needs to be smooth, single wall... I've pretty much decided the guys is an idiot based on all the other things he got wrong.
SteveBott
AG
Oh he is an idiot no doubt. But your stuck with him. It happens to all of us in this business. Good luck
Absolute
AG
Do you have some of the corragated stuff making an elbow? Maybe talking about that. Single wall is allowed up to the ceiling but cannot pass through it. Must change to double wall there. Double wall all the way would be fine.

Yes some inspectors (I am one) are idiots.
malenurse
AG
This is why my wife (she's the realtor) always accompanies the inspector on her listings.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
Diggity
AG
not sure how that would change anything for the OP
malenurse
AG
She would be able to address the floodlight situation and especially the GFI concerns before they became an issue to document.

Probably could have helped on the irrigation issue also.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
Diggity
AG
but those aren't the real issues.

inspections are between the buyer and their inspector. Nothing more annoying than a listing agent (or assistant) lurking around the whole time. I always tell them to get lost once we actually want to talk about the findings. If I need some explanation, I can call.
agracer
AG
Tell the buyer you want the specific code and section that requires a single wall vent so you can be sure the new vent is correct and report back here. If he tells you to call a plumber then you know he's full of it.

As long as the vent is "listed" (depending on age, it will likely have markings with a UL # - check markings on the vent pipe).

I'm don't do a lot of plumbing engineering but I've read enough of the code to know double wall is probably fine.
Absolute
AG
agracer said:

Tell the buyer you want the specific code and section that requires a single wall vent so you can be sure the new vent is correct and report back here. If he tells you to call a plumber then you know he's full of it.

As long as the vent is "listed" (depending on age, it will likely have markings with a UL # - check markings on the vent pipe).

I'm don't do a lot of plumbing engineering but I've read enough of the code to know double wall is probably fine.

Probably not worth it. Not the buyers job to know that. Most older pipe won't have any stickers anymore.

I recommend just saying no to that item. If they escelate, then ask them to provide proof or something.

One thing I had to remind myself when I sold, the buyer wants the house as much as you want to sell it (presumably.) I told mine no on several things that were bs. I didn't get specific, I just said, "I will do 1, 4, and 5" off rather ridiculous list (didn't say that.)

In general, I think people get too wrapped up in arguing and being right, proving the other party wrong, etc. It is a negotiation. Hopefully your agent is helping. But at the end of the day, figure out what is your limit, when you would walk or let them walk and go with it. Doesn't matter who is "right."
skelso
AG
You are correct, I am making this about who is right and who is wrong. However, not between me and the buyer. I understand the buyer is just asking for what the inspector suggested. My issue is the inspector who is being paid to provide a service he did miserably.

What I ended up agreeing to was "bringing listed items to applicable codes"

agracer
AG
I think the bank will make you bring things up to code prior to a loan. They don`t want your collateral to burn down.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.