Real Estate
Sponsored by

Home Warranty Recommendations

2,108 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by rlb28
clobby
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for a recommendation for a home warranty company. Have you had to make any claims, and was the process simple? TIA
Aggiemike96
AG
I recommend you save your money and don't buy one.
boredatwork08
AG
Yep. You'll be better off if you put some money away each month.
AggieAces06
AG
I'd stay away from one. We had to rent while we built a new house, and our landlord had a warranty. Everything had to be "approved" by them before a repair could be scheduled, and then only their chosen contractors could be used.

The worst example was when we were without AC for over a week in the middle of the summer (100+ degree days) because the warranty company wanted a second opinion because they didn't want to pay for the repair the first company recommended.
Aggie71013
AG
I currently have a home warranty from Old Republic on a house I recently the purchased. My experience has been okay so far. Made three claims.

1. Rekey the house
2. Replace garage door spring
3. Replace AC compressor.

The first two were easy because they were inexpensive. Very little hassle and issues were fixed within a few days. The AC compressor took two weeks to fix. At first they denied the claim. I forced them to send another company to get a second opinion and then they approved it based on the second opinion. I was willing to fight with them and wait because I'm young and flexible at this point in my life. It was our second story AC and we don't have kids. The cost savings were worth the wait. If you have kids or want things fixed quickly, I wouldn't suggest it. FWIW I will not be renewing.
plowboy1065
S
If you're purchasing a home and your agent negotiated a one year policy as part of the transaction, do a search on Google and pick your poison. After the year is up do not renew. You're much better off putting money back in an emergency fund for unforeseen repairs
clobby
AG
Thanks everyone. Our agent negotiated a few hundred bucks to applied towards one for the year so I will just find something and let it lapse after it ends.
SteveBott
AG
I am not recommending any company but my client has used these guys on two homes and said they paid and service is OK

https://www.landmarkhw.com/homeowner-warranty#home-warranty-plans

Wife is an Aggie
The better option would be to call the home warranty when you move in and cancel and have them send you the $300-400 your policy costs.... they may keep $50 but give you the rest.

They are worthless.... we had a large 72" Hunter ceiling fan that was maybe a couple years old at best go out so I said what the hell let's see if they can send someone out to fix it. Had to pay the $60 service fee. Guy came out, looked at for about 30 seconds and then said "yup needs to be replaced" & left. Called the home warranty company and they offered $70....

Dishwasher broke and they offered $220 for replacement... of course, had to pay $60 for the worthless contractor to come out who clearly wasn't interested in actually trying to fix it.
coolerguy12
AG
We had $600 in our contract for sellers to provide and asked if they would be willing to put $500 toward closing costs instead, they were nice and applied the full $600. Home warranties are worth less than the paper they are printed on.
Kenneth_2003
AG
clobby said:

Thanks everyone. Our agent negotiated a few hundred bucks to applied towards one for the year so I will just find something and let it lapse after it ends.
Your agent didn't negotiate squat. It's pretty standard practice for sellers to pay for 1 year of home warranty coverage. In truth it's the primary reason these companies are still in business while they sell peace of mind that you won't have to fork over thousands for a new AC. You'll just have to wait two weeks in July for them to patch it back up.

Side note... Compare the wait times for AC services on a home warranty thread with the comments about AC service times over a holiday weekend in someones rental.
cjsag94
AG
I've used several over the years. American Homeshield are crooks... Landmark was good, but i carry coverage for pool equipment and their plan is insufficient.

I'm currently with First American Home Warranty (several years now). You have to understand what you are getting, but over the years I've gotten a dishwasher repaired a couple of times, then fully replaced and a brand new microwave. Several other appliance repair, 2 new water heaters, 2 new air conditioning units, a pool pump, Polaris pump, and filter housing.

I would say it has significantly paid for itself in my case, but you have to understand you are getting service as a warranty customer and everything is not up to you. Especially for air conditioners, i love knowing i won't wake up hot one day and have to spend thousands to get cool again.

The set money aside idea only works if nothing goes wrong for several years. My warranty, with pool equipment and several extras, is $75/month. So I'd need to set that aside for years to cover just 1 AC unit.
rlb28
AG
I have mixed reviews.

Received:
1. New pool pump
2. New dishwasher
3. New cooktop
4. Fixed plumbing issue

Denied:
1. Plumbing issue
2. Pool pump at first and had to fight with them
3. A/C issue
4. Refrigerator water dispenser
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.