Real Estate
Sponsored by

negotiating in College Station real Estate

3,686 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JMac03
rodan85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiepaintrain
AG
what's your price range
FJB
rodan85
AG
TXTransplant
It's been a few years, but I sold my house in CS, and last year, I helped a friend sell her house, both in that price range. Don't know what things are like this year, but last summer there was a lot in that range that sat on the market for 60-90 days (including my friend's house). I think the biggest factor is how long the home has been on the market. If it's a new listing, then the seller won't be inclined to offer concessions. Also, this time of year is probably the busiest for activity (lots of new listings). If you want to negotiate, wait until July or August and see what's still for sale.
rodan85
AG
aggiepaintrain
AG
I would say closer to 250 the prices are firmer
but a blanket statement like that is false

if you want an honest agent PM me

yours is terrible
FJB
rodan85
AG
TXTransplant
rodan85 said:

The house we had a contract on was on the market for over 90 days and had several price reductions. Our realtor told us we had to offer full price or the agent would call everyone that had seen the house in the last few months and ask them if they wanted to make an offer because they already had one in hand.

He said people consider it the buying signal and they would get multiple offers after we put one in. They did get another offer.

He said we could not negotiate at all in College Station - you pay what the listed price is, always or even more.

We also said we were the first contract to back out in 5 years due to repairs.

If the house already had several price reductions, then I can see why the sellers are holding firm (assuming the reductions were significant). Other than that, the only thing you can do is get your realtor to pull comps and look at the price per sq ft comparison. Is it in line with what other houses have recently sold for?
TXTransplant
As far as some sort of "full-price offers only" collusion among all the realtors in the area or dictated by the board, I would say that's false. In both my experiences selling, buyer's agents were all too eager to put in completely low-ball offers. And I'm talking ridiculously low-ball offers that were WELL below recent sales comps.

Again, if your realtor pulls comps, you can see what other houses recently sold for and what percentage of asking the final sale price was. Based on what I saw last year, it's at least 90%+ of asking, and probably more like 95-97% of asking.

I maybe saw one comp when helping my friend last year that sold at just barely above 100% of asking (and it was like 102 or 103% - nothing crazy). Sometimes you'll see that with a house that has a pool, since those are few and far between at that price point.

I agree with the poster above - your agent is terrible.
rodan85
AG
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
"It's all negotiable."
-Ed Elmore, professor, Texas A&M Masters of Real Estate Program

Buyers, if you ever find yourself in need of an agent, we do up to 2% rebates.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Pull your offer, wait two weeks and then offer 10k under list. If your realtor won't do that, tell him or her to **** off and find someone who will.
waltonloads11
AG
Realtor works for you
Furlock Bones
AG
everything is negotiable. your realtor sounds like someone that is uncomfortable negotiating.
SteveBott
AG
I do a couple of loans a year in CS and never heard an agent say that. All my clients made offers and some accepted and some didn't. Just last year my client got a new A/C after inspection
4lilmonkeys
Wow.

No, our association does not and would not push that. Your agent is not only a liar, he's also lazy. Unless you've signed a buyer's rep, go find another agent because he's not serving or protecting your interests.
AggieAces06
AG
We sold in CS about a year and a half ago. We either did the needed repairs ourselves, or came down on price slightly.

I think your agent just doesn't want to work. I'd say dump them and get a new one.
jmazz
AG
False statement. I have 7 pending listings and 6 active and I'd love to see an offer of any kind on a couple of my active listings. A few of those pending listings did go in the first week though. It's mostly a good market right now but still nothing like it was 2-4 years ago (at that time I might somewhat agree with the 'seller won't negotiate' statement but that's b/c it was a booming seller's market...not b/c CS is different than the rest of the state or whatever incorrect statement your agent said). Best of luck going forward!
mazag08
AG
rodan85 said:

That is what I thought. He said the realtor board is forcing this and called all other real estate dealings games and made me feel bad for not wanting to pay retail for anything. Especially an old AirBNB home that needed lots of repairs.

Stupid seller still left the "welcome to College Station" binder in the living room.

This is the kind of stuff that gives Realtors a bad name.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
I have a 2.5 year old house that's a 3/2 with office backed up to the woods that I'd sell for not much more than your budget... and it doesn't need a roof (or anything for that matter)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
...grateful for grace.....
Otto Braun 6/6/12-12/26/13
--cure pediatric cancer--
rodan85
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
How is he as your buyers agent (who has a fiduciary duty to you) going to go work for the seller?
I'm not following ?
Post removed:
by user
valtosca
AG
"He did a good job getting us the house we wanted as there were multiple offers."

Were there multiple offers on the house you're under contract for? Getting a house at asking price in a multiple offer situation is not necessarily a terrible deal.
rodan85
AG
mgreen
Keller William's agent here. That is false. We now have six months of inventory which is the highest in years. Everything is negotiable. With that being said, in the $200-$250 range they fo go quick. Feel free to pm me with any questions.
JMac03
AG
Your agent sounds like a class act. We just signed a contract yesterday. We asked for $5k off. We ended up at asking price, but that's because another offer was on the table and we REALLY wanted the house. My agent told me she is typically seeing about $5k come off asking price in her recent negotiations, but it does depend on several factors.

I wonder if the house you are looking at is one I am familiar with. It's had several price reductions and I wouldn't be shocked if it needed a new roof. I think its been closer to 6 months its been on the market, and its in the price range you are looking at.

(nevermind - it wasn't a AirBnB, it was jut rented out).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.