Real Estate
Sponsored by

Single family with rental

1,080 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BigfootYancey
BigfootYancey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is there anything that would prevent me from renting a portion of our future single family house? The house was designed as with separate kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom and entry but will be permitted as single family. The house is all connected together and was designed to operate as one house in the future (it will have a dual locking hotel suite style door between areas). The zoning has duplex as an allowable use. Location is central San Antonio. Reason for permitting as single family is that the lot is old so not platted. Single family is exempt from platting.

My thinking is that people sublet single family houses all the time. I think i have read a code that no more than 6 unrelated people can live in a single family house. Does anybody think there is cause for concern with this plan?

p_bubel
The City of San Antonio generally doesn't care about such things, neighbors can and will give you grief is parking becomes an issue.

Short term rentals are another matter.

I'm trying to appraise a similar property, built as a duplex in the 2000s in an older neighborhood that's zoned R1. (I have no idea how this thing was legally built, but the county is aware it's a multifamily) owner is using both sides as a SFR. It's worth more as a SFR as well. The whole process with the lender has taken 2 weeks and counting so far to sort out. Both sides are identical in layout and size.

If one side is much larger than the other, call it a "mother in law suite" and things should go easier for you. You can rent those out all day long here in town.
BigfootYancey
AG
Thanks for the response, that all makes sense.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.