Real Estate
Sponsored by

Agent frustration

13,324 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
expresswrittenconsent
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is probably a stupid question but what happens if OP does file a complaint or sue? Is there a chance the agent/agency would be inclined to settle? Or is it just like suing someone in small claims court where you can win a judgement but will never collect a dime?
SteveBott
AG
There should be an O&E policy at play as well as one or two Liability policies but not sure they can accessed in this situation. This could be determined to be fraud. But attorneys are resource to find out. They will find the money if it's there.
Diggity
AG
Yeah, you would sue the broker as well, who presumably has e&o.

I would imagine you could file a DTPA claim against them if you can prove they purposely withheld the higher offer.

Quote:

This exemption does not apply to:

(1) an express misrepresentation of a material fact that cannot be characterized as advice, judgment, or opinion;
(2) a failure to disclose information in violation of Section 17.46(b)(24); or
(3) an unconscionable action or course of action that cannot be characterized as advice, judgment, or opinion.

The attorneys can chime in

IrishTxAggie
AG
Nothing to offer, but I'm intrigued. Hope you sue and get some damages on this. Sounds pretty damn shady of your realtor to me.
Garrelli 5000
AG
We had a couple look at our home 2 weeks ago before it went on the market. Their realtor asked if we'd forgo putting it on the market if the offered at or above our asking price.

Their desire to have us not not put it on the market is because of what happened with their previous offer 2 doors down. They offered, didn't hear back and upped it 10k two days later. The sellers realtor finally responded and said he was out of town for 2 days, he'd get back soon. He kept stringing them on for another week with no response to their offer. He finally told them they'd accepted another offer and it was under contract. No notification they were in a multi-offer situation.

We're waiting to see, but expect at closing he'll represent the buyer as well. Their realtor told our realtor if that is the case she plans to file an ethics complaint.

I don't know the owners 2 doors down, but others in my. Neighborhood do. It'll be fun to discuss it after the sell is complete.
Diggity
AG
Pretty much that exact scenario happened to me and my clients.

******* is at my office too so I get to see him every day.
jakeaggie84
AG
where do yall live and what is her name??? Don't want other people to risk hiring her!
IrishTxAggie
AG
So, a week later. Where are we at?
WorkerBee
IrishTxAggie
AG
Bob_Ag
AG
If they agree to settle, that's great. If not, and you pursue legal action, that is what the Texas Real Estate Recovery Fund is for. You would have to win in court and present the judgment to TREC which then reimburses up to $50K I believe. It is specifically for violations like this where licensees or brokers violate their fiduciary duties or some other type of fraudulent/misrepresentation issue.

Link to TREC, Recovery fund info

DallasAggie0
Get your money and then of course have your attorney file a complaint with TREC. People like this shouldn't be allowed to represent anyone else.
htxag09
AG
Texker said:

I hope she gets what she deserves but you have to accept some responsibility for this fiasco. I would have blown her up when she pulled that FB judgemental crap.

Based on your description the warning signs were there.

Do your homework.
Question everything.
Verify.
Re-verify if necessary.
Repeat throughout the process.

This is even more important in a strong economy where people start to get lazy and think they are better than they are. Prosperity is an effective camouflage of mediocrity.
I probably would've started seeing red flags when she said to list $50,000 under value. Pretty easy to get in the ballpark of comps these days.
Garrelli 5000
AG
A couple of weeks ago we had someone look at our home. We checked them out on the ring doorbell - overweight sloppily dressed woman. Stayed in the home w/her realtor less than 10 minutes, didn't take a printout, etc.

Serious judgment going on in our home. We said "she looks kind of trashy, probably can't afford it".

2 days later we had an offer. We saw the pre-approval letter, did some googling, and learned her husband can buy and sell us. He works for a publicly traded company and is a sr exec w/comp info publicly available. he makes annually more than twice our list price. He's being transferred and they wanted our home to live in while they wait for shangri la to be built.

We sold to a different buyer, but the point made several times in this thread still stands. Don't judge a book by its cover.
JMac03
AG
I'm going to guess as part of the settlement you have to sign a non-disclosure, but damn I am one nosey person.
IrishTxAggie
AG
JMac03 said:

I'm going to guess as part of the settlement you have to sign a non-disclosure, but damn I am one nosey person.
Can't wait for the Tuesday update!
Garrelli 5000
AG
I've re-read this post from top to bottom. This crap infuriates me. My realtor is fantastic and honest as the day is long.

The realtor from the OP should never be allowed to work in real estate again. I have zero tolerance for dishonest people and wish everything short of physical harm to them.

This person needs full on public humiliation.

JMac03
AG
cjsag94
AG
It's frustrating that people regulated by states (insurance agents and real estate agents) aren't subjected to public reporting such as FINRA Broker check. The fact that a broker can offer to just "settle this" with no public record is very problematic. Unless OP goes to MLS site at rates the agent something other than 5 stars (not sure if can be done anonymously), then this will all go away.

Even then, what happens if she just registers under a new broker? I realize a formal complaint filed and confirmed may be recorded somewhere, but I've never found a place you can easily review credentials, experience, disciplinary history, etc. of these people online.. I'm guessing you have to inquire with the state organization that heard the complaints?
BTD
Just blast her name on here... and hold on tight!
IrishTxAggie
AG
DallasAggie0
He may be under an NDA?
cjo03
AG
DallasAggie0 said:

He may be under an NDA?

Good point.. so don't share the agents name.

....just post pictures of your new house. Preferably one showing the address...
cjsag94
AG
I hope he got much more than just what he lost if he also had strings attached like an NDA. This should not be able to be swept under the rug.
WorkerBee
Ag2Max
AG
WB.....can you at least tell us where in Texas this took place?
Shooter McGavin
AG
WorkerBee said:

Sorry for the delay but have been living up to my username.
Yes there is a NDA so no more info will be forthcoming.
Thanks for all the advice, TexAgs is the best.

Ah, this blows.

Boo this man!
cjsag94
AG
I'd be curious if the agent faced any punitive action beyond just a financial judgement.
AggiePlaya
AG
WorkerBee said:

Sorry for the delay but have been living up to my username.
Yes there is a NDA so no more info will be forthcoming.
Thanks for all the advice, TexAgs is the best.

Blink once if you are happy with the settlement, blink twice if you are not
Garrelli 5000
AG
Any new applicants in the job market?
91AggieLawyer
AG
When I dabbled in real estate in college, I had a hard time wrapping my head around the whole agent representation thing. Now that I've practice law for 20+ years, I'm completely horrified that any hint of this thing still goes on. It would have been bad enough had she been totally up front with you about which offer she wanted you to accept and why (still a conflict but a reported one) but doing all that in the dark is a complete breach of a fiduciary duty if there ever was one -- assuming things happened as the OP suggests.

I don't handle litigation matters anymore and if I did, it would likely be representing the real estate company against this sort of thing, but this type of case would be one I would take in a heartbeat provided I had no conflicts.
MemorialTXAg
Was the agent at least hot? OP seems like a guy who falls for discounted AV equipment in some Costco parking lot truck.
aggiepaintrain
AG
can I have 6% of the settlement ?
94chem
No Pressure said:

Was the agent at least hot? OP seems like a guy who falls for discounted AV equipment in some Costco parking lot truck.

Off-topic, but where exactly is this truck? Asking for a friend.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.