Real Estate
Sponsored by

Agent frustration

13,327 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
WorkerBee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ratfacemcdougal
You can file an ethics complaint. Start researching here....

https://www.google.com/search?q=realtor+ethics+compaint&rlz=1C1NHXL_enUS718US718&oq=realtor+ethics+compaint&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.22463j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Bob_Ag
AG
You have a right to be upset. Your agent has fiduciary duties and it certainly sounds like she crossed the line on some ethical issues.
Diggity
AG
I've been in a couple situations like that where I've suspected the listing agent was sitting on/downplaying my clients offer in order to push another one. Usually it's been a financial incentive for them (getting both sides of the deal) but one time it was a friend situation.

I always assumed that no agent would be stupid enough to risk their license/reputation in order to make a few extra bucks but that was probably naive. There's a lot of scummy people in this business, and some of them are very successful. Seeing a few agents in particular pull this crap over and over again with no repercussions is pretty frustrating.
SoTheySay
S
I'd file a complaint.

I'll never put my offer over another or a friends offer over another on any listing. I've had MY buyers who are close friends lose out in a multiple offer situation on MY listing. The other offer was better.

That's pretty bad.
aggiepaintrain
AG
file complaint then get a lawyer
Diggity
AG
It's usually a tough thing to prove misconduct in these cases (unless they flat out fail to show you an offer) but this would be damning if it could be verified

Quote:

Furthermore, a good friend knows their agent and he had supposedly told our agent that they were willing to up their offer by $7,500 ($35,000) but she said that we were not interested in their offer because we had to close quickly. She never once told us this.
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

My wife is friends with her
What does your wife think about all of this?
DallasAggie0
Get your good friend to find out a little bit more
CS78
It happens. I had an agent in CS verbally accept my offer, then come back and say they had a better offer and ceased most communication with us. I suspected it was BS because our offer was really good and she wouldn't even negotiate further. A few months later I met the buyer by chance and found out my offer had been better but that buyer allowed her to double side the deal and make both sides commission.
The Collective
AG
This is bull **** - I might shrug my shoulders if it was a $5k difference, but potentially a $30k difference... nope. I'd want to talk with the broker about it.
Diggity
AG
Was there a discussion about appraisal during the conversions on competing offers? Assuming you didn't price the property way under market, that would have been a risk with any of these offers, but especially the top one.
WorkerBee
WorkerBee
WorkerBee
Diggity
AG
So the appraisal was $50K over list price?

I can see why folks got excited about it.
dubi
AG
WorkerBee said:

Appraisal came in 22-23k above the better offer. We were priced to sell quick which I was ok with.
Did this same realtor help you set your sales price?
jtraggie99
AG
Honestly, if I were you, I'd be livid. And this goes well beyond "principle". You guys left a lot of money on the table, and it appears that was largely do to the realtor that you paid to sell your house. And how your wife thinks this is ok is baffling. Her "friend" just screwed you guys out of thousands. And she's ok with that? I would be filing formal complaints with licensing boards and telling everyone who will listen what kind of ethics said realtor has. That is seriously messed up man.

Said realtor was only looking out for herself and her other friend and she has now proven that is more important that doing what is in the best interest of her clients (you know...her job)...
Texker
AG
+1 on filing a complaint.

Having gone through a buy/sell last year my advice would have been to question EVERYTHING, multiple times if necessary. (Drove my agent nuts, but it worked out.) And trust your gut. So a couple of after the fact points. Hopefully, this doesn't sound like a lecture.

1. Agents are expensive but the great ones are worth it. The most popular agents aren't necessarily the best agents. They are just better marketers. But ever wonder why they have to market themselves so much?

2. I would have conducted an interview with her without your wife present. No interview. No deal. She passes muster, then have a joint meeting. This is a 6 figure transaction. Your money, not the agents. Make sure they are worthy of that trust.

3. HOW did she know the buyers didn't have the money? I would have asked her to prove it before walking away from that offer. Also, what kind of earnest money did they put up? Ask for more! There are plenty of points to negotiate in a R/E transaction.

4. Even if she had a plausible explanation, it's EASY to research online to learn some details on the buyers to help you make an informed decision.

5. The people who don't look like they have $ are richer than an entire block full of the $30k millionaires she associates with. Hell, she's probably one of them.
The Collective
AG
Texker said:

5. The people who don't look like they have $ are richer than an entire block full of the $30k millionaires she associates with. Hell, she's probably one of them.

Yea, this bugged me too. How the hell can you tell this from facebook?
94chem
jtraggie99 said:

Honestly, if I were you, I'd be livid. And this goes well beyond "principle". You guys left a lot of money on the table, and it appears that was largely do to the realtor that you paid to sell your house. And how your wife thinks this is ok is baffling. Her "friend" just screwed you guys out of thousands. And she's ok with that? I would be filing formal complaints with licensing boards and telling everyone who will listen what kind of ethics said realtor has. That is seriously messed up man.

Said realtor was only looking out for herself and her other friend and she has now proven that is more important that doing what is in the best interest of her clients (you know...her job)...
I've never lined up financing ahead of time. The reason? It's so easy for me to get. Honestly, people who have to line it up beforehand are often LESS qualified.

Also, if the people with the higher offer are in a certain "group," I would think there could be some additional problems.
Diggity
AG
Never change chem!

expresswrittenconsent
Honestly though, who thought the first "off the rails" reply on this topic would be 20 replies deep and be a "those people" comment?
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
Wow.

I can't think of a better response. Just "Wow"

I'm so sorry...sounds like a really bad situation. I'm shocked your wife doesn't think it's a big deal.
Sponsor Message: Need real estate help in North Texas? Click Here to Save $500
Beckdiesel03
AG
I can't imagine no matter how well off I was being okay with losing out on 50k for a somewhat easy deal and if my friend did that to me I'm not sure we are really friends.
valtosca
AG
"Closing ended up taking 35 days" <<< Delays happen, not all the time, but they do.

The buyers were not as financially strong as she led us to believe <<< Short of pulling their credit and doing the same vetting a lender does you have to rely on the Buyer's lender statement.

"and found out our agent is good friends with the buyers of our house."
<<< This is the real problem. Perception is reality and I work like hell to not give the perception that I'm working for anyone BUT MY CLIENT. I represent MY CLIENT, and no one else. Us agents have a fiduciary duty to our clients. An offer way over ask can be worthless IF IT WONT APPRAISE; however, there are multiple ways to mitigate this risk (using the appraisal addendum to name one way... "hey Mr. Buyer, we appreciate the offer but we priced at "X" so are you truly willing pay the difference?). Now, for the appraisal to come in ~$50K over asking!? How in the world is your listing agent that far off!?
94chem
Diggity said:

Never change chem!

I don't even know how you "line up" financing. You just call some online bank, ask them what their rate is, and then lock it in when you're ready. That's "securing financing." If they want a paystub or something, you send it to them. What does OP's realtor know about "securing financing?" Nothing. All the realtor does is yell at the mortgage broker louder each day as it gets closer to closing. You got screwed over man. Maybe you've got unlimited money, but I'd be going after the agent. Your wife can find a new friend.
94chem
Some realtors also make up excuses not to do government subsidized loans, just like some landlords won't do section 8 housing, but that doesn't seem like the case here.
WorkerBee
Texker
AG
I hope she gets what she deserves but you have to accept some responsibility for this fiasco. I would have blown her up when she pulled that FB judgemental crap.

Based on your description the warning signs were there.

Do your homework.
Question everything.
Verify.
Re-verify if necessary.
Repeat throughout the process.

This is even more important in a strong economy where people start to get lazy and think they are better than they are. Prosperity is an effective camouflage of mediocrity.
DallasAggie0
Can you file a lawsuit? Seems like damages would be easy to prove here
Aggiemike96
AG
Lesson learned: Friendship and Business do not mix.
Diggity
AG
Aggiemike96 said:

Lesson learned: Friendship and Business do not mix.
Hogwash! It worked out perfectly well for the buyers

Quote:

Closing ended up taking 35 days, the buyers were not as financially strong as she led us to believe and found out our agent is good friends with the buyers of our house.
Old Tom Morris
Don't stop with the complaint. Sue her. She owes you $35k. With the conflicting lies she told each side that are easy to prove now that you have connected with the buyer's agent, she is fooked.

And your wife needs to understand that this person is NOT her friend and does not see herself as her friend. She boldly defrauded both of you. This is a scam artist that y'all happened to know.
SteveBott
AG
I'd have a huge case of heartburn over this. At minimum I'd talk to a lawyer
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.