Real Estate
Sponsored by

Looking to buy a lot - questions to ask

1,692 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by MTTANK
aduey06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am looking at purchasing a lot in a neighborhood to potentially build on in a few years. Any specific things to ask look for. Should we get a builder out there to take a look or possibly an engineer?
waltonloads11
AG
HOA rules and restrictions and the side setback on the lot are the two things I would ask in regards to your future home build. Also if there is any easements
ratfacemcdougal
flood plain? minimum finished floor elevation?
tford12
AG
ratfacemcdougal said:

flood plain? minimum finished floor elevation?
This. Especially if you are in the Houston area. Just make sure you aren't buying a flood risk.
aduey06
Thanks. Have looked at the survey and looks like no issues. Property is on a hill so no flooding issues. Dont know if it is worth getting a builder out there since we are not planning to build for several years.
JP76
Get someone who has experience with elevations to make sure are not buying a headache.
94chem
Check the property taxes to see how many years you really want to enjoy paying for a square of dirt.
mgreen
Any MUD taxes?
BrazosDog02
AG
I've worked in a couple of reasonably decent neighborhoods and some of them have time limits on when you need to be building. I had a client that wanted to buy a house and purchase the lot next door just to have the space and there were steep penalties and fees for not putting a structure on it within a certain time frame. Check into that.
aduey06
Will try to get someone out there to look at elevations. It is in the country so taxes are pretty low, but yes we would paying for a piece of ground even though we are going to try and pay it off quickly. One of my buddies suggested I just put the down payment and and extra payments that I would make into an investment account and have larger pile when I decide to build but where the fun in that.
MTTANK
AG
I would have a builder look at the elevation of the lot. You can spend 20k easily on what looks like "a little" dirt work. I was interested in a lot that seemed like a good deal, but it needed dirt work. Best estimate I got was 50k!! The lot was only 90k! Also, be sure to get the lot you want- assuming there are choices in that area. Lots are a small percentage of what your total build cost will be. Worth it to pay 30-50k more for a prime lot on a house that's going to be 300-500k when complete. JMO.
GIG 'EM
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.