Real Estate
Sponsored By

How to sell a house quickly

3,438 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by TXAGFAN
Guppy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Afternoon! My MIL is putting her house on the market in a week and, like most buyers, wants to sell it quickly. She is in the process of moving everything out and is going make sure it gets a good cleaning and have the paint touched up, nail holes patched and the yard looking it's best.

It's a fairly large house - 3600 sq ft and in a very desirable part of El Paso - up on the mountain with great sunset views. The problem is it's somewhat dated inside - 15 years old. The kitchen is the only room that's been remodeled recently - 5 years or so ago.

So what should we do to minimize the time the house is on the market? Should we consider a remodel? Put it on the market at a low price - close to the minimum we would accept? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated! TIA
CS78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
At 3600 sq/ft I'd avoid remodeling. That's a heck of a project. It will absorb a lot more resources than you expect. Time, money, headache. And if you don't know what you're doing it is very easy for it to still look dated. Sounds like the location will sell it. Price it really well and get good pics that really accent the view. Maybe have the photographer make a separate trip out for additional sunset pics.
SteveBott
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd list at market but be prepared to discount when a decent offer comes in. Cash is king and can close in two weeks so give that potential offer a premium
SteveBott
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also make sure the listing agent understands your goals and make that clear to prospects.
Stacy_L_Jones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SteveBott said:

Also make sure the listing agent understands your goals and make that clear to prospects.
This...let me know if you need a contact in El Paso. I've got an agent I've referred to in the past and she's done well for my clients.
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Don't throw $$$ into it. Get it clean, follow some staging advice, and get it on the market.
Max06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are you going to FSBO? If not, this is the exact reason why you hire an agent. You're paying them for their experience and expertise in properly preparing, pricing, and marketing the property.
Guppy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not doing FSBO. Just trying to help my MIL out. Her agent is an old friend of my MIL and I asked on here to make sure others recommended the same repairs she does. Not that I don't trust her, but I wanted 2nd and 3rd opinions. Thanks for all the input.
dubi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Her agent is an old friend of my MIL

Those can be the worst agents!
Guppy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dubi said:

Quote:

Her agent is an old friend of my MIL

Those can be the worst agents!


I agree. Doing business with friends can be tough. Doing business with age old friends is tougher. But, not my call. MIL is late 70s and everything to her is based off of relationships. She doesn't "trust" anyone else to sell her house. To be honest, worried the agent, who is close to the same age, is just going thru the motions at times....
agsalaska
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
1.Hire a good real estate agent
2. Price it right.
3.. Keep it clean
4. . Allow it to be shown on demand.


do those four things and the house will be under contract very quickly.
claym711
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sell it to Zillow or OpenDoor.

Real Estate agent model will be blown up over the next few years.
mazag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
claym711 said:

Sell it to Zillow or OpenDoor.

Real Estate agent model will be blown up over the next few years.


Lol
musicforall
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just a tip - make sure it smells good! If it smells like cigars, cigarettes, mold or cats, the only people who will be interested are smokers, cat people or people with no sense of smell. Bake a pumpkin pie, paint something in the house to give it a "new house paint smell". Do not use those plug in oil things, they cause damage.

Also take a look at how the landscape has grown. You can make a house look much younger if the foundation plants are not hulking and overgrown. Cut them back or replace them.

These two things are "first impression" type things - but you need to get people past the front door.
Guppy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Had a professional cleaning crew go over the house top to bottom. They did a phenomenal job. Cleaned up a lot of the landscaping and plant some new flowers. House looks in good shape IMO

The hard part is figuring the listing price. Not many homes for sale in its area that are similar. And the few that are for sale have widely varied price per sq foot. So aiming high!
94chem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Put a billboard in the front yard that tracks how many days the home has been brown recluse free.
Max06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hire an appraiser. Small investment for pricing it right.
Guppy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good idea. Been discussed. MIL of course thinks it's worth X amount when in reality it's probably 80% of that value. Might help her come back to reality a bit
thatman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Another option is to use a flat rate broker. I used Creekview Realty to sell my house. Charged me only $1100 instead of the ~12k a standard 3% agent would have charged. It worked out really well for me; I sold my home in 10 days. Price is the most important factor for selling quick. Being able to drop the price ~10.5k and stilling being even with a realtor gives you an advantage.

Before an agent chimes in saying not to do it, I suggest only doing this if you are a person with above average intelligence. For reasonably competent people willing to do some work, an agent doesn't add near the 3% they charge.
francine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Before rushing to remodelling the house, I think you should hire a professional home inspector to conduct a property inspection. It is a non-invasive procedure to identify the damages on the property. Post inspection, review the report and schedule a contractor for damage repairs. You can get offers within few days after listing the property!
Red Pear Realty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
thatman said:

Another option is to use a flat rate broker. I used Creekview Realty to sell my house. Charged me only $1100 instead of the ~12k a standard 3% agent would have charged. It worked out really well for me; I sold my home in 10 days. Price is the most important factor for selling quick. Being able to drop the price ~10.5k and stilling being even with a realtor gives you an advantage.

Before an agent chimes in saying not to do it, I suggest only doing this if you are a person with above average intelligence. For reasonably competent people willing to do some work, an agent doesn't add near the 3% they charge.

Sponsor Message: Up to 2% Buyers Commission Rebates / $1,200 Full Service For Sale Listings / $500 For Lease Listings with Red Pear Realty. Also, contributor at Houstoning.
TXAGFAN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guppy said:

Had a professional cleaning crew go over the house top to bottom. They did a phenomenal job. Cleaned up a lot of the landscaping and plant some new flowers. House looks in good shape IMO

The hard part is figuring the listing price. Not many homes for sale in its area that are similar. And the few that are for sale have widely varied price per sq foot. So aiming high!
Did she empty the house? Stereotyping, but older people have so much stuff. I'm always amazed when I open closets at my mother's house.
Page 1 of 1
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.