Real Estate
Sponsored by

Winter Rye Grass

1,742 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Shiner Bock
BoDog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Landscape newb here.

So I have noticed what I assume to be planted winter rye in several neighbor's yards. I must admit this looks fantastic. Obviously we are into spring, so I am curious for next year, but does it just die off and the bermuda come back? Any issues long term? Does it need to be replanted next fall?

Thanks in advance!!
DannyDuberstein
AG
My advice is not to do this. It makes it tougher for your summer season grass (i assume you have bermuda) to come in. I have a neighbor that did this and basically jacked his yard up for years. He had a previously very healthy, lush bermuda lawn that really struggled to come in well the next spring, which opened the door for dallisgrass and other weeds to take hold. The nasty grassy weed that is brutal to get rid of once it takes hold.

Enjoy the dormancy and that you get a break from mowing, and spend your time on other aspects of your landscaping and ensuring your summer grass is as healthy and lush as possible with a 12 month focus on the right pre-emergents, fertilizing, etc
John N
The only people that I know who have it are folks that hire lawn crews. This gives the lawn crews grass to cut 12 months a year!

It will cost more for irrigation.
Make it harder for spring grass to start growing.
If you do it yourself, imagine mowing in December with a jacket on.
BoDog
AG
Brother in law has a couple grass cutting crews (firewood, etc) so that isnt an issue to me. What concerns me more is how my bermuda will look in late spring and throughout the summer. If I plant the annual rye variety, doesnt it die off once the temps gets hot?
AggieDruggist89
AG
Do what some golf courses do.

Paint it.
Shiner Bock
AG
We do this in the backyard where the dogs run. It has really helped with mud being tracked in, looks really nice, and never had trouble with Bermuda coming in.
gvine07
AG
Shiner Bock said:

We do this in the backyard where the dogs run. It has really helped with mud being tracked in, looks really nice, and never had trouble with Bermuda coming in.
This is my problem. When the grass in my backyard is dormant my dog really beats it down - so much so this year I feel I have to aerate just so water/fertilizer can get absorbed. It comes back fine but takes longer than other parts of our lawn. Does winter rye help?

Do you have to water throughout the winter? Our foundation is built on rock and I don't ever turn on my water October - March-ish (still haven't).
Shiner Bock
AG
I water it until there is good growth. At that point I just let it go and it seems to do fine.

I use this.

GRASS SEED PREMIUM RYE GULF ANNUAL OREGON GROWN 50 LBS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CAQJQ98/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_H0GNCbDMAQ1VF
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.