Real Estate
Sponsored by

flip house frustration

2,804 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aggiebrad94
aggiebrad94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Need advice here. Under contract to sell me flip house. Needs a new gas water heater. Negotiated that WH does not have to be installed by licensed plumber, only a GC. I'm getting very wide range of quotes from both plumbers and GC's on what's needed and costs (from $500-ish to $1,500).

Do I have any low cost options here?
aggiepaintrain
AG
$500 would be a good deal
one MEEN Ag
AG
aggiebrad94 said:

Need advice here. Under contract to sell me flip house. Needs a new gas water heater. Negotiated that WH does not have to be installed by licensed plumber, only a GC. I'm getting very wide range of quotes from both plumbers and GC's on what's needed and costs (from $500-ish to $1,500).

Do I have any low cost options here?
$500 for a water heater? If its in an attic and that money includes hauling the old one away, pay the nice man.

If its in a garage and there's nothing too crazy about replacing it, just go to home depot yourself.

CS78
Offer the buyer $500 and they address the issue however they would like. Much cleaner and less likely to cause you heart burn.
aggiebrad94
AG
Buyers agreement requires a licensed plumber GC do the install. A couple plumbers mentioned having to pull permits, install water pressure regulator, etc.

WH is in garage and I have already removed old one.
Martin Q. Blank
I didn't think there was a license for general contractor in Texas.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Not attempting to derail... But how on earth did plumbers manage to complicate a water heater to the point that it seems every replacement broaches on "rebuild the house" territory?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

Not attempting to derail... But how on earth did plumbers manage to complicate a water heater to the point that it seems every replacement broaches on "rebuild the house" territory?
It feels like a case of folks in the plumbing industry being cozy with those that write the code. I've been a homeowner in the same city for 20 years, and each time I've needed to change one, it seems like the code has changed in some way since the last, driving more work and cost.
aggieland09
AG
Water Heater should be done by a licensed plumber but shouldn't require a permit.
Kenneth_2003
AG
I'm going to go with you're half right...
Yesterday
AG
Changed mine in my attic by myself. Almost killed myself getting the new one up there. Don't be like me, hire someone or get a friend to help.

Pro-tip. Measure attic opening before putting water heater on ladder and pushing all the way to the top only to find out it doesn't fit.
insulator_king
AG
Nice! Could have been a viral U-Tube video....
aggiebrad94
AG
If this wasn't under contract, I would have done myself. I finally agreed to $1,100 to install it. That was the lowest. Even the contractors wouldn't touch it - they just subbed it out.

Thankfully, my electrical work that I thought would be in the thousands was only $400. So, between the two jobs, I'm coming out ahead by a couple of grand.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.