Real Estate
Sponsored by

Painting "my" side of a fence that is exactly on the property line

3,849 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Gunny456
C@LAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sine poena nulla lex.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Oh man, there's different answers for legally, ethically, and neighborly.

Before you break out paint brushes, why not knock on the guys door first?

I'd be super pissed if a neighbor who didn't contribute a penny to the fence starts mucking it up.
Martin Q. Blank
Nothing is exactly on the property line. It has no width.
Ed Carter
AG
Curious, why did you not help pay for half of it to begin with?
94chem
Ed Carter said:

Curious, why did you not help pay for half of it to begin with?

Yeah, what gives?
aggie appraiser
putting a red fence next to 3 sides of white fence is a dbag move, no matter who paid for it
DallasAggie0
Please tell me you weren't seriously considering going out there and painting it without asking him.
dubi
AG
Pay for 1/2 and paint your side.
Martin Cash
AG
NEVER paint cedar.
dubi
AG
Martin Cash said:

NEVER paint cedar.
Stain?
Martin Cash
AG
dubi said:

Martin Cash said:

NEVER paint cedar.
Stain?
Yes, but no paint.
SweaterVest
AG
You'll get more answers and we'll get more entertainment if you cross post this to OB.
dubi
AG
SweaterusVestus said:

You'll get more answers and we'll get more entertainment if you cross post this to OB.
Or GB.....
Whoop Delecto
AG
ratfacemcdougal
cover the whole thing with durolast
Gunny456
AG
Whoop.......you don't want to do that even if he gives permission. Water will run down or seep between the two boards and will eventually rot out both boards......cedar or not.
MAS444
AG
So then what do you if you're building a new house and a neighbor's existing fence only has the pickets on his side and a bunch of nails sticking out into your side? It's a new fence, but was pretty cheaply done. Besides the nails sticking out all over, it just looks crappy. I was just going to go over and ask if we could add new pickets to our side. I figured it was either that or build a whole new fence next to his, which would not be ideal because there would be dead space in between for plants/weeds, critters, water/rot, etc... I would think adding pickets would be the better choice.
94chem
Knock it over, invite everybody over to a sausage fest, and... Never mind, it's been done.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Gunny456
AG
If he built the fence then I would suspect there are 4X4 line post with 2x4 horizontal cross-members on his side of the fence with the pickets nailed to that? Cheap fences only have two horizontal cross pieces, one top one bottom, better fences have three at times. I take it then that the nails he used were too long and stick through the horizontal cross-members.?

His line post should be on his side of the property line....if they were centered on the property line then technically the line post is also on your side. You could then add your own horizontal cross-members and put your own pickets on them. I did our house like that and just raised the pickets up enough so i could get a weed eater line under them to control the grass. I also went and talked to my neighbors about it first.....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.