Real Estate
Sponsored by

Anybody in the Masters in Real Estate program?

3,740 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by rday34
preston1curling
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am interested in that program, but I know it is also something I can learn on my own. Would it be beneficial?
AggieAdvisor16
AG
I have no experience with this program, but I'm an advisor for a different program on campus. I would recommend contacting the advisor or director for the program. They should be willing to give you contact info for a current student who can answer questions you have. Just bear in mind that they are going to cherry pick one who loves the program, so take everything with a grain of salt.
CaptnCarl
AG
That question is up to you. Have friends that have gone both route and been successful in real estate. The more successful ones did NOT do the MRE, but they also had good connections to good firms and were sharp and motivated.

I think the better question is do you want to spend another year in school living in College Station? Nowadays, the school will sell you any degree you're willing to pay for. You don't need the degree, the school needs your money.

If you have a good opportunity with a good real estate firm, TAKE IT! If you're still waiting for that opportunity to come around, doing the MRE isn't a bad decision. Just my two cents.
CaptnCarl
AG
Also, the current MRE students obviously believe the program is worth it. They will believe they are going to be more successful in Real Estate than the ones who don't do the program.

Talk to ones 0-20 years out of school in real estate - both MRE and not. If you don't know those people yet, then there is your answer.

The best thing about MRE (and every A&M degree) is the networking. Do you need another year of real estate networking, or do already have those connections to get started?
aggiejumper
AG
Graduated fall 06 LERE/MRE, was worth it for me but as you get deeper into your career it levels out on the education side, nearly everyone is intelligent to be successful. Connections in TX and even beyond in some stronger financial markets (NYC,Chicago, Miami, Orange County) are great and it's an easy warm call calling fellow grad school graduate.
You should/need talk to Mrs. Donnell, she's done wonders for the program and will shoot you straight on the program and if it's right for you.
752bro4
AG
I am in CRE and did not go the MRE route, but know several who did. I do not know a single one who regrets it.
JamesBREI06
AG
07 LERE/MRE.... I highly recommend it for the networking side of the business as well. Frankly it was also a lot of fun and two extra football seasons too!
Whoop!
752bro4
AG
inoffensive username said:

07 LERE/MRE.... I highly recommend it for the networking side of the business as well. Frankly it was also a lot of fun and two extra football seasons too!
But....Fran.
tj18
AG
Which CRE company do you work for? I am trying to get my foot in the door and was wondering if you have any advice?
dcAg
Yes it is worth it. I have recruited/hired many students out of the LERE then MRE program. Definitely a huge advantage in the real estate business over an MBA or advanced finance or accounting or other degree and I have an MBA.

The people I have hired have been great!
JamesBREI06
AG
752bro4 said:

inoffensive username said:

But....Fran.

Thanks for reminder
Whoop!
FTAco07
AG
I graduated in 2008 from LERE/MRE and would recommend it. If you have a finance undergrad with a few of the real estate classes offered you may not learn a ton of additional book knowledge, but if your undergrad is something else (like me) you will learn new and very applicable foundations for commercial real estate. Either way, the networking is important and something unique to the program with its smaller class sizes that you share almost exclusively with your fellow classmates. Quite a few of my best friends to this day came from the program so I'm a supporter.

Bitter Old Man
AG
2003 LERE/MRE Grad here. It has served me very well in my career. It opened doors for me that would not have otherwise been open.

ETA: One of the biggest factors to me getting hired at my first job out of MRE was that I knew how to work ARGUS software. At the time, no one else even knew what it was.
mazag08
AG
Bitter Old Man said:

2003 LERE/MRE Grad here. It has served me very well in my career. It opened doors for me that would not have otherwise been open.

ETA: One of the biggest factors to me getting hired at my first job out of MRE was that I knew how to work ARGUS software. At the time, no one else even knew what it was.

Had no idea they teach that in MRE. I didn't go MRE and had to learn it on the fly doing commercial appraisals.

Do they teach you the manual way first on a small scale? And then teach ARGUS? Or is it straight to Argus?
Diggity
AG
At Rice, they just subsidized the official Argus training modules. They weren't that great in my opinion.

You learned the basics but I wouldn't call myself proficient.
FTAco07
AG
When I was in school they brought in an Argus instructor for a two day class that everyone was required to attend. It's the same Argus course anyone can take, but it was certainly a useful head start for summer internships or your first job.
DallasAggies01
AG
02 LERE grad here. While not overly beneficial if you're going to only sell residential realty it is beneficial to those that go the banking or appraisals route.
Rice and Fries
mazag08 said:

Bitter Old Man said:

Had no idea they teach that in MRE. I didn't go MRE and had to learn it on the fly doing commercial appraisals.

Do they teach you the manual way first on a small scale? And then teach ARGUS? Or is it straight to Argus?

It was straight Argus. We had a booklet and the software and were taught over a few days how to do it. We also had a CRE financial modeling class that we took over a few days.

Overall, I recommend the program if A) You for sure know you'd like to do real estate and B) you don't mind paying those school costs for another 1.5 years. It's all worth it in the end and you'll have a job ( Donnell will make sure of it) by the end of the program.
Bitter Old Man
AG
mazag08 said:

Bitter Old Man said:

Yes, they did teach the basics of DCF Calculation and what Argus was doing in the background. One or two classes (Dr. Etter's at the time) incorporated ARGUS into his classwork, so we did little basic modelling with it, nothing too complicated. It was enough to get your feet wet and give you a foundation to work from in your job.

I'm assuming they still do it, but I have no idea...
DallasAggies01
AG
I think mine was through Dr Haney. Dr Etter was the director of the program at the time. Yes a good class for learning basics of Argus. I was a finance major before going into MLERE so DCF modeling I already had down.

Went into the MLERE because I knew my career track was going to be RE in some capacity.
rday34
'14 Mater of Land & Property Development (MLPD) here.

Answer to your question depends on what kind of real estate career you want. If you want to get in to development, check out the MLPD program over in the College of Architecture. You get to take a bunch of MRE classes, but also learn more on the development side of the business. Would be more than happy to discuss more.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.