Real Estate
Sponsored by

Dallas county property taxes

1,678 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aggie appraiser
SoTheySay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Any tips?

This property is listed as "excellent" desirability while no others on the street are. It's also assessed over $200k when the next highest is $175k. Does the improvement price per sq ft matter at all? I'm at $140/ft and others listed as "very good" (a step lower than excellent) are $93-107/ft.

Any info would be helpful! Thanks in advance.
Diggity
AG
a lot of times, CAD's use the MLS listings to grade homes, since they can't generally enter the property.

This can cause you to fall victim to the "puffery" that occurs when listing a home, and making it look more updated than it probably is.

You need to find out what the exact criteria the CAD uses to "grade" the condition of the property (they should be able to provide that for you), then build a case (using your property and similar properties in your immediate section) as to why you are being unfairly categorized. Bring lots of photos and a good argument for why you are not the outlier.

If you have a sound argument that is free of emotion and uses their own guidelines against them, you should be able to get the condition changed. It worked for me in Harris County, but I'm not sure how things are in Dallas.

This is a big deal because the condition category is one of several used in a multiplier that spits out your appraised value. Get it lowered once and that smaller multiplier will help you from here on out.

Good luck!
p_bubel
Quote:

Bring lots of photos
This.

Printed, in color, not on a phone. Show them the work that needs to be done.

Did you redo your font yard or paint the front of the house recently? (Just curious)

For BCAD I don't bother with comps, they have the same ones I do and the overall assessment value is still behind market value. (generally speaking)
SoTheySay
S
House was purchased remodeled. They did do some updates.

I wouldn't say $50k worth though!
aggie appraiser
When did you purchase and for how much? If they have it valued at your purchase price....that's the value you paid.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.